Sandy Bottom 55 Gallon Tank

1. guthrieb08 Member Member

So guys i have decided to switch from gravel to sand. i have not decided on black,brown, white or one of the many wonderful colors out there yet. i will be using Root tabs and liquid ferts for the water. I have 4 amazon swords, wisteria, and ludwidgia, a few anubius, and a large piece of driftwood i will post pics of the tank when i get it switched over i was just wondering if you had any recommendations for the type of sand to use and what the depth should be.

2. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I used pool filter sand that I got from Home Depot. It's really great. It's not dark brown sand like the one from the beach but it's like whitish with a little brown. I like it because it's not too dark. Maybe 2 inches deep is good or 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. guthrieb08 Member Member

ill have to check at home depot. there are a million pool supply stores that have 50 lb bags for like $10. i will be purchasing the sand on saturday and spending the day redoing the tank. i have 3 inches of gravel currently would it be smart to put some of the gravel i have that is designed for plants under the sand? like .5 inch of gravel and 2 inches of sand?

4. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

What kind of gravel? Is it regular gravel or like Eco-complete?

5. guthrieb08 Member Member

this is the exact bag i purchased when i set up the tank. i really like it but i feel it holds a lot of the wastes in it. plus i really like the way i nice sandy bottom looks. i purchased 40 lbs of that and 10lbs of just regular fine gravel. Does anyone else use this and what are you opinons of this substrate?

[​IMG]

6. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

That substrate is great for plants! You should put a layer of that under the sand. It will help plants grow.

7. guthrieb08 Member Member

ok thats what i was thinking. the guy at the LFS sold me on it when i was first setting it up. This is my first tank in a long time and i wanted it to have nice large healthy plants. Do you think the sand would sink down into the gravel or get all mixed up when sifting the sand and vacuuming?

8. guthrieb08 Member Member

1 other question and delay on the switch was that i wasn't sure if when i pulled the gravel out and switched the sand if that would restart the nitrogen cycle? i have had the tank established since early march.

9. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

The gravel and the sand won't mix if you have a good depth of sand & I don't think that it will restart your nitrogen cycle since some good Beneficial Bacteria is in the filter already.

10. guthrieb08 Member Member

do you just vacuum and sift your sand at each water change?

11. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I just vacuum my sand. It gets kinda dirty from all the poop.

12. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I just vacuum my sand. It gets kinda dirty from all the poop.

Sorry I sent this twice because my internet was acting laggy

13. guthrieb08 Member Member

haha its ok. i was just wondering on that read a lot about the build up of gasses and just wondering since you use sand.

14. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Eventually I sometimes do swirl the sand around to clean it better