Sandstone rocks fizzing- help?

AussieCyka

I brought two rather large sandstone rocks from an aquarium shop, rinsed them off with a "high-pressure" (not exactly) hose and then let them sit in treated water for a bit. I put them in the tank but now there is a lot of fizzing which I read can increase Ph?

My tank water is acidic and I'd like to keep it that way. Could I combat the rising Ph (if it does rise) with API Ph Down adjuster? Also, will the rocks fizz indefinitely or is it only until they're completely saturated?

kallililly1973

No experience with those stones but i would remove them and put them in a bucket and test your ph that way... Trying to regulate ph will usually lead to more issues. Just from the research i've done. and my .02

A201

A lot of times when new rocks are placed in a tank, micro bubbles are released from tiny air pockets located on & inside the rock. The fizzing is very temporary & shouldn't alter water parameters.

Mongo75

I brought two rather large sandstone rocks from an aquarium shop, rinsed them off with a "high-pressure" (not exactly) hose and then let them sit in treated water for a bit. I put them in the tank but now there is a lot of fizzing which I read can increase Ph?

My tank water is acidic and I'd like to keep it that way. Could I combat the rising Ph (if it does rise) with API Ph Down adjuster? Also, will the rocks fizz indefinitely or is it only until they're completely saturated?
The fizzing is only if you test the rocks with vinegar or some other acidic solution. What you're seeing is just the air trapped in the stones being releases...probably .

AussieCyka

A lot of times when new rocks are placed in a tank, micro bubbles are released from tiny air pockets located on & inside the rock. The fizzing is very temporary & shouldn't alter water parameters.

Haha, yeah the bubbles have stopped now. Thanks!

The fizzing is only if you test the rocks with vinegar or some other acidic solution. What you're seeing is just the air trapped in the stones being releases...probably .

I thought as much since I heard that sandstone is pretty porous and wondered if it could just be air escaping. All is good now, thank you though!

RDcompton03

are you sure its not limestone. Normally sandstone which is usually made up of quartz or feldspar will have no effect or a slight lowering of ph

AussieCyka

are you sure its not limestone. Normally sandstone which is usually made up of quartz or feldspar will have no effect or a slight lowering of ph

I'm pretty sure it's sandstone. On the up-side, the bubbles stopped an hour later so I think it was just air escaping and the Ph hasn't risen in the last two days either. Thanks though!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CHJ
  • Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
Elodea
Replies