Sandstone Ok ?

1. FreshWaters

FreshWaters Valued Member Member

Hey guys I went up to my local canyon road and picked up some rocks,cleaned them and found out they're sandstone with baked on mud or something white very soft like clay. May be clay. So I did some googling and found mixed reviews and mostly hobbyist saying its OK and sites saying it will kill your fish. This is my last stop before deciding to put them in with my cichlid's and community tank. I live in California so that common orange brown sandstone.

2. a

abheeshs Valued Member Member

Have you tested with Vinegar/Lime juice? Maybe put in water in a bowl and check pH changes.

3. manzeez

manzeez Valued Member Member

sandstone will up your ph its good for mbuna tanks

4. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

They are a mostly rock and clay, so you'd have to worry about them disintegrating pretty quickly and leeching all the minerals and iron into your tank; which could be the deadly part. And into iron, if it was any red coloration (like streaks) there is most likely iron present, and you want to watch for that.

As I always say, if you're not confident about it, don't put it in the tank :)

(Also...where in Cali do you live? I've been here my whole life and never seen canyons lol, especially ones that could have sandstone! Ha! Maybe except Yosemite...but I've never been to Yosemite, soooo...ya :p)

5. OP
    OP
    FreshWaters

FreshWaters Valued Member Member

I live in Norwalk but I went to Turnbull canyon,the rocks are a orange brown with almost white clay

Thanks guys

6. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Oh! That's cool. That's in SoCal (I admit, I had to google the place lol). Haha. I'm in NorCal