Sanding Hard Plastic. Help

1. Lagertha

Lagertha Valued Member Member

Hi

I recently bought my Betta a decoration from Amazon which came back today but it’s got really rough edges on it even though the reviews said it was Betta safe, it’s clearly not!

I paid pretty expensive for it, so I was wondering how to go about sanding down the rough bits to make it safe for his fins? The corners are rough and there’s little bumps on it too that are rough.

If you guys want pictures let me know and I’ll insert some.

And please can people link me some Betta safe realistic looking wood?

Thanks!

2. Lollipop0912

Lollipop0912 Valued Member Member

I’d just take some sandpaper and start sanding. Most driftoowds and colla words are betta safe if you sand them.

3. OP
    OP
    Lagertha

I don’t want real wood because of the hassle of treating it, that’s why I want the fake but real looking stuff.

I’ll get some sandpaper and try it. Thank you.

4. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

If it's imperfections on the seams you might be able to break the imperfections off, maybe giving yourself a smaller area to sand down.

5. OP
    OP
    Lagertha

It’s not imperfections it’s part of the decoration.

I’ll insert some pictures.

IMG_6661.JPG IMG_6662.JPG

6. IHaveADogToo

Ooooh yeah I see why that's scary.

Sandpaper indeed.

Make sure you leave a review. Sometimes the seller will reach out and make it right.

7. OP
    OP
    Lagertha

I asked if it was rough and he said no. I’m a bit annoyed because it was expensive and I can’t use it without spending out yet more money.

Do you have any links or tips for me what I can get that’s Betta safe?

8. IHaveADogToo

Buy in person, not online. So that you can examine the items yourself before spending money on it. There are far too many sellers online that make inferior products and false claims.

9. WTFish?

WTFish? Well Known Member Member

I used my dog’s nail grinder for small rough spots. I’d also be concerned about those fake roots, maybe cut those off all together.

10. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

I had the same issue for many of my fish decor/caves. Just sand it by hand or if its hard use a small grinder. ( My dad offered it to me but I didnt want to break the decor) And rinse it off when done of course!

11. OP
    OP
    Lagertha

I don’t have much choice really, we’re in rural Wales so everything is so far away. My “local” fish store is well over an hour away.

Ok thanks guys!

I’ll try to sand them or get them off somehow, if not it can go in my minnow tank.

12. midna

midna Well Known Member Member

do you have a foot file (one of the battery operated ones work best) or a nail file?? that's what i use lol

13. OP
    OP
    Lagertha

Nice tip!

I’ve got some sandpaper coming in the post tomorrow.