29 Gallon Tank sand???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think sand is much easier to keep clean. Poop and leftover food and whatever else ends up in the nooks and crannies between gravel and make it a pain to clean. But it just lands on top of the sand and it's really easy to vacuum up. Sand will need to be stirred every once in awhile to prevent the build up of toxins but buying Malaysian trumpet snails will take care of that for you because they burrow in the sand.

-Lisa

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Pool filter sand is the way to go. It's very low-dust and easy to clean. Some people here have had play sand and all-purpose sand turn into rock in the bottom of their tanks.

If you want live plants, you should opt for a substrate like Eco-complete instead, but plants can grow in regular PFS too.

All bottomdwellers will appreciate the sand.

I'm never going to use gravel again.

-Lisa

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use the play sand and have never had a problem of it turning into a rock or clumping, I have been using sand for a little over 10yrs or so.

I use two different types of play sand, I will show pics of both, one is a bit heavier than the other and therefor not as much gets sucked into the gravel vac. But once you get the hang of how close to get while using the vac it is pretty basic. And like someone else said all the **** stays on top of the sand making it easy to clean. If you don't want snails to stir the sand another option which I do is about once a month I take the end of the gravel vac while it is not suctioning water and just stir the sand, most of my fish dig through the sand pretty well and actually keep it turned for me.

Here are a few examples of the sand that is "light" and gets sucked up a bit more.

618.jpg

99.jpg

And the heavier type play sand.

8.jpg

612.jpg

Sorry I really don't have any good pics of sand, maybe I can get some shots of just the different sands one of these days. Overall I like the heavier/larger grain type as it doesn't get sucked up as easily, it pretty much falls out of the tube when it is sucked up.
Hope that helps some.

Brian

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One of these days, I'm going to switch my 46 gallon over to sand, which will kind of suck because I paid a lot for the gravel in there. But, my 30 has sand and I just love how much easier it is to clean the sand than the gravel. It's amazingly easy and I don't lose any sand up the python.

The fish all love the sand, it's beautiful and it's a great exfoliant when I brush my hands through it to get rid of potential gas bubbles. So see? You're getting a partial manicure at the same time!!!! You can't beat that with a stick! okey:

OP
izzyfishfarmer

izzyfishfarmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
One of these days, I'm going to switch my 46 gallon over to sand, which will kind of suck because I paid a lot for the gravel in there. But, my 30 has sand and I just love how much easier it is to clean the sand than the gravel. It's amazingly easy and I don't lose any sand up the python.

The fish all love the sand, it's beautiful and it's a great exfoliant when I brush my hands through it to get rid of potential gas bubbles. So see? You're getting a partial manicure at the same time!!!! You can't beat that with a stick! okey:
nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 62 65.3%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.9%

Top Bottom