Sand Vs. gravel.

Fishtanker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So i am setting up my 29 gallon tank and i am thinking on either to get sand or gravel .. but why should i get sand over gravel or gravel over sand ? what is the difference ?

Thanks in advance.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Check the substrate sub-forum and you'll find plenty of threads on this topic. I'd dig up some for you but it's a pain to do it on my iPod.

-Lisa

CichlidsYay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Personally I like sand better. With sand, you don't have to worry about missing a spot when you vac it, while with gravel you might have to vac it constantly to get it relatively clean and even then, its still really dirty. With sand, your fish will enjoy a lot more. They can sift through it and dig into it.

There are some draw backs to sand. Sand needs to be stirred every once and a while, but if you have MTS, that solves the problem. Sand can also damage your filter if you're not careful with the water changes. Just make sure that when you put new water back in, you pour it in as slowly and softly as possible.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Mostly it is personal preference. But, some fish species, such as corys, and even some plant varieties do better in sand.

I have tanks with pea gravel and others with play sand....and one tank that started with flourite 10+ years ago and I added some same as I was tired of the flourite, so it is half and half.

As far as why....for me it comes down to cost. I can pick up enough play sand to cover a 55 gallon tank for less than $10. To cover the same tank in flourite would cost at least $100.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
sand is way better than gravel. It's easier to maintain and looks more natural.

Fishtanker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
aah ok , so i guess the only downside of sand is it might ruin my filter if i don't take care but otherwise sand is better than gravel.

also what do you mean by "need stirring up the sand once a while" ?? what is stirring up of sand and why do we need to do it ?

Thanks.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
just use a prefilter sponge and it's not really an issue. Sand can get a buildup of nitrogen and other gases in it from the breakdown of waste so it needs to be stirred up from time to time to keep this from happening OR put some MTS in there, they do a great job.

Fishtanker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jetajockey said:
just use a prefilter sponge and it's not really an issue. Sand can get a buildup of nitrogen and other gases in it from the breakdown of waste so it needs to be stirred up from time to time to keep this from happening OR put some MTS in there, they do a great job.
Well two questions
What is a prefilter sponge and where does it fit?
And what is MTS ??

Thanks

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
prefilter sponge is just taking a piece of sponge, cutting a hole in it to fit over your filter intake so that things like sand cannot get sucked into it. You can also use soap free pantyhose and filter floss just to name a few other things.

I personally just use aquaclear foam inserts and cut them to fit since they are almost the right size to begin with.

MTS= malaysian trumpet snails, they like constantly digging around in the sand.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have moved your thread to the Freshwater Substrates/Gravel - Sand section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Here are the search results for sand vs gravel using the fishlore search engine. Several threads have been made on this topic so you can begin by looking through there.

Pool-filter sand (or PFS) is another common, inexpensive type of sand. I have playsand in one tank and black flourite sand in my planted tank. I don't know if you can call one better than the other (as far as sand vs gravel). As someone mentioned, it's usually personal preference but then certain fish would prefer one over the other. Many people mix up different types of sands or sand with gravel to get the desired look. You can completely mix them or actually keep them separated (I remember seeing a cool aquascape on here where someone used mainly sand, had the middle of the tank barebottom, and lined the sand with gravel). It was very creative. Honestly, look through the gallery and figure out which look you like best. Good luck

fishyfishyfishy13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
it really comes down to personal preferance if you ask me

Alee C.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I recently switched from gravel to sand and love it. With the gravel food particles would fall in between and get mouldy . I purchase a 20kg bag of playsand and it was only like$6.99. I cleaned it real well and put it in. Its easier to clean because the food particles, as well as any waste stays at the top. So I just sweep the siphon over it every saturday. One saturday I just clean the sand and the next I stir it all up. It said on the interent to stir the sand every 3-4weeks, as gasses get trapped underneath.

ticocruiser

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I recently set up a 55 gallon and used Filter Sand. I have the Flourite in 75, gravel in 30 and I really like the sand the best so far.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pool Filter Sand

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Alee C. said:
One saturday I just clean the sand and the next I stir it all up. It said on the interent to stir the sand every 3-4weeks, as gasses get trapped underneath.
Malaysian Trumpet Snails are great at doing that for you

Alee C.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
funkman262 said:
Malaysian Trumpet Snails are great at doing that for you
Yes, thank youx
I'm actually going up to the petstore, 2 hours from me in a week to pick up my Black Ghost Knife and will be inquiring about these. I had a few before and my mom would say that they looked like maggets...??? I always thought they were cute

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads