Sand Vacuum That Doesnt Remove Tons Of Water

Z7What

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a cheap gravel vac I got off ebay. It doesn't have the large tube at the end so it makes cleaning the sand substrate much hard. I want to order a new vacuum with the larger tube but my biggest concern is how quickly water is removed from the tank. Being that its only a 10gal the level drops very quickly.

I see some power vacuums on ebay that recycle the water back into the tank which would help my concern with the water but then I think sucking a bunch of sand into the pump would be my issue with that.

Thoughts? Options?

Wayne

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Are you thinking about something like this?
Typically waste and debris settles on the surface of the sand so just hovering over it should be enough

OP
Z7What

Z7What

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
nikm128 said:
Are you thinking about something like this?
Typically waste and debris settles on the surface of the sand so just hovering over it should be enough
Yes basically something like that.

Anybody here use one like that or similar?

Wayne

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I do, I don't have sand but I do have crushed coral in one tank. I don't have any problems with it, but obviously that's heavier than sand

FLDawna

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think you're asking about completing the vacuuming before the amount of water you want to change is removed. If that's the case, try pinching the hose a bit (while vacuuming) to slow down the flow of the siphon.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I came across this about a week ago, it says in the tutorial video that there is a clamp that shuts off a lot of a flow so you have a longer period to vacuum the substrate.

JChi

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I recently converted to sand after many years of gravel only. I feel like I had the opposite issue as you. The bigger siphon I found was too powerful for sand for me personally. I am still getting good at vacuuming without sucking up tons of sand. I've found that pinching the tube really helps, but then I went smaller on the siphon to reduce the water flow, and still slow it down a bit with pinching. Its nice cause the waste just sits on top, so I feel like it's actually a bit easier to keep the tank looking clean.

New Threads