Sand suggestions

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by Damien808, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Damien808

Damien808 Valued Member Member

I have a 20 gallon sitting outside that needs cleaning and I would like to do sand but I have no clue on what to do. What kind of sand and the amount I would need to fill it up to the right height. Also what plants and fish would do well with it and in this size tank. Sorry for so much i would really like to do this right.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi and welcome to Fishlore!

You can basically use any sand type for plants. I believe Carib-Sea Eco-Complete is a sand that is particularly good for plants. Dom90 has this I believe. I use pool filter sand myself which is a somewhat fine sand that is a light tan color. I really love it and also have 2 live plants in there and planning to have more.

A couple of fish that need a soft substrate like sand are Corydoras and Loaches. As for how much sand, it's about 1lb per gal so I guess in your 20gal, 20 lbs would be enough.

Good luck!

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Any type of sand should work with live plants. I use pool filter sand with the help of root tabs and liquid ferts and my plants are doing great.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    Damien808

Any specific filter is good with sand or will that not be a problem

5. AquaticBrandon

I've never had a problem with my sand and filters

6. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

If you will have fish that stir up the sand I recommend getting a pre filter sponge if you go with a hang on back style filter, just to keep the particulates from damaging the impeller. I have a mix of pool filter sand and black diamond blasting sand, and use root tabs to fertilize my root feeding plants.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yea I read the Eco-Complete had iron among other nutrients that are good for growing plants. The substrate breaks down slowly over time, releasing nutrients that are beneficial for plant growth. I like to go with the real thing when I buy substrate so that's why I chose Eco-Complete. I had Fluorite before in one of my past tanks but it would cause huge clouds of red dust everytime I did a water change and I was getting annoyed with it...

8. AquaticBrandon

Same with my flourite. I then later realized that I had to wash it throughly. I thought I didn't have to wash it a lot because it would lose its nutrients lol

9. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Haha same, the bag even said you dont need to rinse it.... they really need to change what they say on their bag. I had to add more fluorite at one point for some reason... I must've rinsed it at least 20 times, it still caused some dust clouds...

10. AquaticBrandon

I know right, It's a pretty good substrate. But I would rather go with Eco complete

11. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

If you're looking a for a cheap but attractive sand try out some black diamond blasting grit. It's about $8 for a 50lb bag at tractor supply company and looks great.

12. Reyes

Reyes Valued Member Member

I also have pool filter sand in my two tanks, got it very cheap in a big hardware store in Spain. You have to rinse it really well, though.

As for the fish, Corydoras will definitely love it. Goldfish also do well, as the sand goes through their fins. I've read somewhere that it harms and irritates them, but after a year I had no issues whatsoever.

I had Java Fern and Anubias actually buried under the sand for a year and they kept growing. I now have tied all my plants to rocks or driftwood, except for a Echinodorus that I got two weeks ago, let's see how it fares.

I would not go back to gravel for all the money in the world, I find sand so much easier to clean and it looks great.

13. OP
    OP
    Damien808

Alright I'm definitely gonna get Corys but I still not sure of what else to get hmmmm any good tank mates with them

14. Reyes

Reyes Valued Member Member

As soon as my corys fry are big enough to be adopted I was planning on getting Harlequin Rasboras, I want a really peaceful shoaling fish and they don't nip or get territorial. Celestial Pearl Danios seem a good choice too, but they are more delicate.

15. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

We have white National Geographic in one tank and black Eco-complete in the other. Both are planted tanks and we are very pleased with both.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice