Sand substrate

Kitley

Well Known
so my LFS sold me sand for substrate....OptaMinerals brand, ebonygrip copper slag, medium grit. Does being a copper slag affect anything. I got super ripped. Two 50 pound bags at 55.00 each. Now I see I could have bought the exact same thing at Princess Auto for 15.00 per bag. I was going to buy B;ack Diamond at Home Depot, but dear Hubby thinks I should pay more and buy it only at a petstore.....ugh. Silly me, shoulda gone on my own and just told him it came from petstore....lol. Oh well, if I need another bag for my 75 gallon, I will know where to buy the next bag. Anyway....will it being copper slag affect anything?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
From my understanding copper slag is just the by-product of smelting copper so it should be safe.

I've long since stopped buying "aquarium substrate" and switched to a variety of cheaper and prettier sand like blasting, pool filter, and play sand. I most recently got some free medium grade blasting sand (not black) from my dad's work and it looks soft and lovely, perfectly for a planted invert tank.

OP
K

Kitley

Well Known
glad it should be ok. After getting ripped price wise, it really makes me wonder about this guy. Since covid he no longer has prices on anything, and I am not one to bargain. He tried to talk me into two breeding Peacock Cichilds for 120.00. Not sure why he thinks I have money like that.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Kitley said:
glad it should be ok. After getting ripped price wise, it really makes me wonder about this guy. Since covid he no longer has prices on anything, and I am not one to bargain. He tried to talk me into two breeding Peacock Cichilds for 120.00. Not sure why he thinks I have money like that.
With prices like that I probably wouldn't shop there anymore, plus selling African mouth brooders as pairs always seemed odd to me. They should be kept in harems rather than pairs, so people who sell pairs I tend to avoid altogether. Seriously, I've been selling breeding groups of OB peacocks for far cheaper than 120$! A pair of large and hard to fine American cichlids I can see but peacocks? No way!

OP
K

Kitley

Well Known
Demeter said:
With prices like that I probably wouldn't shop there anymore, plus selling African mouth brooders as pairs always seemed odd to me. They should be kept in harems rather than pairs, so people who sell pairs I tend to avoid altogether. Seriously, I've been selling breeding groups of OB peacocks for far cheaper than 120$! A pair of large and hard to fine American cichlids I can see but peacocks? No way!
The only other choice I have is Petsmart and not a lot of variety available there. I can drive two and a half hours to BIG Als, where there will be tons of choices, but there will need a battery something to keep the oxygen in the tanks for the drive home.

Jerome O'Neil

Putting the word "aquarium" on pretty much anything immediately triples the price.

50lb bags of blasting sand are $8 each at my local hardware store.

New Threads