Sand/substrate help?

taylormarie213

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I tried to wash my Seachem Flourite Black Sand in my 5gal bucket. I put some sand (a few pounds but not the whole bag) and put water into it. Then I churned the sand with my hands and poured the water out and repeated it about 15 times. It never got any clearer at all. I don’t know what I did wrong, but I gave up on that for now. What did I do wrong?

Right now I have Eco complete substrate in my tank and would like to add a thin layer of sand on top for my bottom dwellers. How would I do that?

Also, I want a dark colored sand to go with my black substrate. What would you recommend? I don’t want to use Flourite Black Sand again since I could not get it clean!

So my questions are:
What did I do wrong with my sand washing?
How do I add a layer of sand to substrate ? Should I have already put water in the tank before adding the sand?
What sand do you recommend since the sand I used would not be clean?

P.S. I plan to add live plants by the way

qquake2k

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I rinse sand, I also use a 5 gallon bucket, and don't rinse the entire bag at once. I use a garden hose running at nearly full blast, and push the end down into the sand to stir it up. I continuously move the hose around to keep it stirred up, and let the water flow carry out the dirt and debris. I will periodically tip the bucket to pour out the water, then start again. It usually only takes two or three "pours". I have found that so-called play sand is the dirtiest, and pool filter sand and Black Diamond is a lot cleaner. This was my first time using Black Diamond and I'm very happy with it. It was $8 for a 50lb bag at Tractor Supply.

Attachments

New Threads