Sand substrate for Electric Blue Jack Dempsey?

Tanked4Relaxin

Hi. I would like to put sand on top of my eco substrate for my Electric Blue Jack Dempsey as I read they enjoy this. I purchased a bag of aquatic substrate that seems almost crystal like (small), but not fine like real sand. Will this suffice? TIA

Attachments

• 20210725_183431.jpg
    20210725_183431.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 14

CTYankee79

I think it would definitely suffice, but I’d be wary of adding it on top of eco complete. I’ve never done it but I feel like the sand would mix with the eco complete and either be ugly, difficult to clean, or trap air bubbles. Just my opinion :) maybe it’s worked for people though I’m not sure

Upvote 0

Tanked4Relaxin

I think it would definitely suffice, but I’d be wary of adding it on top of eco complete. I’ve never done it but I feel like the sand would mix with the eco complete and either be ugly, difficult to clean, or trap air bubbles. Just my opinion :) maybe it’s worked for people though I’m not sure
Ok, thank you. I had read other people put sand on top of substrate but you bring up some good points. I can certainly push aside the current substrate. Current substrate is brown & sand, which I am going to mound in small hill fashion to look like an island, is white. 90% live plants already. I think it's going to look nice. At least I hope so.

Upvote 0

CTYankee79

Sounds nice, do you have any photos?

Upvote 0

Tanked4Relaxin

Thank you. I will post tomorrow. That is my project when I get home from work

Upvote 0

fallfever

If your EBJD doesn't like it, he'll just dig it up :) Mine does. They don't really sift sand but will often dig up a nest in their favorite spot. Sand on top of dirt can work pretty well, but it often sinks into eco substrate. Sounds like you are creating a scape with yours, and I'm sure he'll do fine. Gorgeous fish.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Probably should be OK after a real good rinse. If you don't trust it, get some play sand or something. Works fine and is cheaper. Imagine probably need enough for about 1-1.5 inches for the cap.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
Redfishbluefish13
Replies
Views
Eaton