Sand sifters Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by el337, Jul 7, 2015.

1. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

Can anyone suggest another fish/invertebrate who will sift sand besides MTS? Loaches?

I know I'd have to sift the sand from time to time to prevent air pockets but wondering if there are other little maintenance workers that can do this for me? :D

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Copycats sift around the sand. They eat any uneaten food on the sand bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    el337

Cory cats?

4. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Yes Corydoras. Well they don't sift sand like MTS, but they eat uneaten food from the sand. They dig around and stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    el337

Perfect! Was planning on getting a few anyway but I didn't know they would provide that kind of maintenance. So, having them would be enough without me doing anything to the sand besides vacuuming?

6. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Corys won't really dig deep enough to properly stir the sand, they only go down a centimetre or so, they will eat any food that hits the bottom but they need their own diet too.
    Malaysian trumpet snails are the best thing for sifting through the sand but beware they breed like rabbits.

7. OP
    OP
    el337

Would any other type of snails that don't breed as much do the same, i.e. nerite snails? I remember from a different thread that there is a fish that could control the population of MTS but can't remember.

If I were to sift myself, what's the best way and how often?

8. Coradee

As long as you don't have the sand too deep then you shouldn't have any problems.
    I have sand in all mine no more than 2" deep & have never had to stir it, but if you want to then attach a wooden chopstick or something similar to your syphon hose leaving the stick about an inch or so longer than the hose, then while you're syphoning the stick can be gently moving the sand around.

9. OP
    OP
    el337

Clever little trick! Thanks!

10. Coradee

I learned it here :)

11. KwigWell Known MemberMember

Omg that's ingenious.

12. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

Assassin snails burrow into sand, they will also breed, but not as fast as MTS.
    Some type of pleco will burrow if I remember correctly. Khuli loaches will burrow and most other loaches will dig.

A lot of the loaches eat the snails, yoyo's, clowns, zebras are know snail hunters.
    I have MTS to stir the sand for me and they keep it looking real nice and loose, but there are hundreds of the things now, maybe even thousands, I have assassins now too.

As Coradee said, the corys dig a little, my peppered will stir the surface sand some whilst looking for food but I wouldn't even class it as digging same with my ghost shrimp too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice