Sand Sifter help!!

Eagle1

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a sand sifter star fish, looks like his legs are rotting off, turning green what is the cause of this?

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First let me say Welcome to fishlore Eagle1
Now what tank is he in and what is in there with him ? someone could be biting at him

Eagle1

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
as I was just looking for him because he was gone from site soo fast I spotted a , well what looks to be a brissle worm, what I could see of it was 3inches long!, that might be my mystery solver, soo far I have a clown fish, flame angel, 6 line wrass, 6 tubo snails, pepperment shrimp, cleaner shrimp, red leg hermit crabs, and 5 corals, 1 leather, hairy mushroom, trumpet,xenia,and a hammer coral, biggest is the size of my thumb, oh and by the way thank you for the welcome
I'm going to try and trap the worm and shoot a pic of it, this is the second one I found in these live rocks, by far the biggest, wow lol oh hes in the 56 gal tank

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FL!

Unfortunately, from what I understand, sand sifting stars most often starve to death in captivity because the populations of the organisms they eat from your sand bed can't keep up with their needs. Since your aquarium info says that your tank is only 2 months old, I am guessing there isn't enough life in your sand bed to sustain the star.

Eagle1

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
the starfish in my wifes tank is doing just fine, both bought at the same time, at this time I made a makeshift bristle worm trap to catch the worm, if its starving wouldn't it do something other than look like its "arms" are rotting off? I would think so.
I am using a piece of Con-Do-It, something from my r/c flying hobby, melted the end on one side, baited it with shrimp pellets and now I am waiting on the worm to go to dinner, I'll let you guys know if it works or not, got the idea from a trap from flyingishexpress.com

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bristleworms are beneficial detritivores and don't cause any harm to the system. Bristleworms do not attack healthy animals.

Eagle1

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
detritivores is my new word, lol thanks for the info, hes very large, longer than 10 inches,
he won't get into the trap all the way, and I don't want to break it and have more than I need

On a second note about this site, it is much nicer here than a previous site I was on, too many flamers on that one for my taste, posted specs of tanks and got hammered not just advice but hammered for my post so I no longer spend time or effert there only to prove the na sayers wrong, thanks for the warm welcome here

Hello, I've merged your posts since they were back to back.
Thanks!
Ken

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There's no flaming allowed here. Stick around, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Eagle1

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I did a water change today, yest. I added 10 turbo snails and 10 astrea snails, 2 cleaner shrimp, corals are doing very well, I also seeded the rocks with copepods and the wifes tank as well, she got a yellow watchman gobby for her tank, the cuc in mine is doing a good job now of getting rid of the algae, in 6 months I am going to add a manderian gobby , and try my hand at another sifter in a month or so

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Eagle1 said:
I did a water change today, yest. I added 10 turbo snails and 10 astrea snails, 2 cleaner shrimp, corals are doing very well, I also seeded the rocks with copepods and the wifes tank as well, she got a yellow watchman gobby for her tank, the cuc in mine is doing a good job now of getting rid of the algae, in 6 months I am going to add a manderian gobby , and try my hand at another sifter in a month or so
by that time, I would suspect that ORA should be releasing its captive bred mandarins that should eat pellets

new_sw_gurl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey Eagle1, your tank sounds awesome. Any pictures??

How is your starfish doing now? I would love to have a starfish, but I'm not sure I'd have enough for him to eat in my 75. So for now I have Diamond Goby who does a great job at keeping my sand clean and bright.

angel_scout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hope your starfish is doing okay!!!

Eagle1

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have not seen him, I spoke with the pet store guy about it and he agrees with harpua2002, it may have starved as I didnt have enough bacteria for it to eat, if your tank is 75 Gal you should have room for a starfish, this picture is from about 3 weeks ago or more, the green algae is gone and I have moved some of the corals around, I will post a pic of it in a few days, I need to take another one

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads