Question Sand or Gravel ???

GreetedMussel44

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’m planning to get a new 30 gallon tank but I don’t know what’s the best bottom surface. Sand or Gravel ?

I’ll be definitely keeping Corydoras in there... do they need a specific type of surface ?

Thanks

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Definitely sand- they like to sift through it and gravel can hurt them unless it's super smooth and fine. If you're looking to buy sand definitely consider using children's play sand! It's a nice natural colour and you can usually find up to 50lbs for under 10$.

OP
GreetedMussel44

GreetedMussel44

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Salem said:
Definitely sand- they like to sift through it and gravel can hurt them unless it's super smooth and fine. If you're looking to buy sand definitely consider using children's play sand! It's a nice natural colour and you can usually find up to 50lbs for under 10$.
Alright, thanks !

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
You can keep Corydoras in gravel, but the gravel needs to be smooth with no sharp edges. Of course, you can definitely keep them in any sand substrate.

Invicitus

Reaction score
For Corydoras I would definitely recommend sand, and black would really make the colours stand out.

nj278

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with the sand! My corys absolutely love digging around in it. The only thing is if you get a lighter colour it can quite quickly get covered in debris and appear dirty so it needs to be vacuumed quite thoroughly.

Jerome O'Neil

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
nj278 said:
The only thing is if you get a lighter colour it can quite quickly get covered in debris and appear dirty so it needs to be vacuumed quite thoroughly.
I consider that a feature, not a bug. I want to be able to see where I need to vacuum. I don't want it to look clean, I want it to be clean.

Black will make your fish look better, though.

New Threads