Sand Or Gravel For Sds?

Discussion in 'Silver Dollar Fish' started by Michael Siwula, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Michael Siwula

Michael SiwulaNew MemberMember

Hi! I’ve been looking into buying Silver Dollars for quite some time. I really love the way they look, plus they live a long time and end up getting really big (at least that’s what I’ve been told).

But with all that said, I have ZERO experience with SDs. How should I set up my tank?

Specifically, should I use sand or gravel? I know sand can be harmful for certain fish (I.e. goldfish). I really like the way sand looks, and wouldn’t mind maintaining it.

Thanks!

2. shiv234

shiv234Well Known MemberMember

You can get either. Get something like about 120 gallon tank or so and after the nitrogen cycle has finished you could add like about 6-8 since they usually max at about 6 inches. I'm not to good with silver dollars though. This is just my opinon

3. UnderwaterGalaxy

UnderwaterGalaxyValued MemberMember

It probably doesn't matter since they are not bottom dwellers. For the most part they stay 2-3" above the substrate. Be warned, Silver Dollars are a skittish fish and can be frustrating for some. They literally get spooked by their own shadow sometimes lol. They are not for everyone.