Sand only substrate

FBI

I been looking for black gravel i wanted but i failed. All sold out, so i thinking of getting just black sand. Plants I'm getting is rotalas and water sprite.

Does sand only substrate work? I got liquid fert.

Anything i need to pay attention when it comes to sand only substrate?

SotaAquatics

I use flourite black sand and black diamond blasting sand. Nothing else for substrate in those tanks.

Root tabs are great, but it depends on the plant. Not all plants are root feeders, some do just fine with water column dosing only. Water sprite depends if you float it or plant it. If you plant it you should use a root tab for best growth plus water column dosing, if you just let it float, water column dosing only of course. Rotalas, I am not sure if they 'need' root tabs, but they sure won't hurt to stick in. I use root tabs but don't have the plants you are planning on using. You could also look into just putting in osmocote pellets but you would want to research that a bit more, I don't have experience with it at this time.

As far as things to know about sand... most common thing that I see is fears over hydrogen sulfide build up. It's just a myth that you will build up hydrogen sulfide, any bubbles you may get from the sand will just be CO2/Methane from decomposition of detritus and will thus smell bad but its not hydrogen sulfide. True anaerobic conditions to break down Nitrates into N2 gas and hydrogen sulfide into any significant levels just don't exist in a flat bed of sand in your aquarium.

Upvote 0

LHAquatics

I use Imagterium (Petco) Black sand and my new Water sprite is already growing baby shoots

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I have either black sandblasting sand or pool filter sand in all my tanks. Plants do just fine. I use liquid fertilizer, and occasionally root tabs. There is a wide variety of quality of both. Compare the amounts of ingredients, especially nitrogen, potash, and potassium.

Upvote 0

FBI

I have either black sandblasting sand or pool filter sand in all my tanks. Plants do just fine. I use liquid fertilizer, and occasionally root tabs. There is a wide variety of quality of both. Compare the amounts of ingredients, especially nitrogen, potash, and potassium.
Do you use all in one liquid fert or micronutrient only?

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

I have sand, no ferts no root tabs. But I do feed a variety of fruits and vegetables to the tank

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Do you use all in one liquid fert or micronutrient only?

I use the comprehensive liquid fertilizer Easy Green.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SotaAquatics
Replies
Views
Aprilbeingbasic
Replies
Views
kattiq
Replies