Sand On Eco-complete?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by all-out-fallout, Apr 13, 2018.

1. a

all-out-fallout Valued Member Member

I’m getting kuhlis and I’ve decided I want sand. Only problem is that my Eco-Complete has been working wonders for me and I’m not about to throw it out the window. So here’s my question—could I top off my Eco-Complete with sand? Will that cause issues with potential gas bubble trapping? Will it be too dense for my plants?​

2. dwarfpufferlover

dwarfpufferlover Well Known Member Member

I don't think you would have any issues in fact some on your plant roots may prefer the grit of sand, and aesthetically it would just mix over time.

3. P

Plover New Member Member

I've had Eco-Complete topped with about an inch of Tahitian moon sand in one of my tanks for 6 months and I'm very happy with it so far. I'm still pretty new to the hobby and I am definitely not a plant expert, but I can say that at least the plants that I have are doing well (crypts, dwarf water lilies, water wisteria, Amazon compacta). There has definitely been some mixing over time and I personally really like how it looks in the tank. Some folks might not care for that look (and I can totally understand why) but I think having some of the Eco-Complete visible here and there makes the substrate more visually interesting.

4. OP
    OP
    a

all-out-fallout Valued Member Member

Thanks! I went through with it. Currently my biggest problem is that it’s crazy cloudy in there, but I know it’ll get better.​

I’m really digging the variety of my Eco-Complete mixed with the sand. Thanks for the feedback!​

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice