Advertising

1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Sand Legend's 56 Gallon Column

1. Gilly

Gilly Valued Member Member

Hey guys and gals,

I'm new here to the forum. I have always done my own research and done my "own thing" but decided to be more social. So here's the scoop!

I purchased a water-tight, although algae-stained-sealant ridden 56 gallon column tank and stand for 40 bucks! its 30 inches wide, 18 inches deep (front to back) and 25 inches tall. I already have a couple inches of Eco-complete plant friendly substrate in there, and purchased a Fluval Aquasky LED fixture for it. I am looking for some suggestions for plants and fish, as I have ALWAYS had long and shallow tanks in the past, and haven't done anything with columns.

I plan to use 2 sponge filters (never had a bad experience with them) instead of a HOB. I would like the tank to be thoroughly planted with good ground cover.

I would love some input, especially preferences from everyone that feels like contributing, as to what fish tend to thrive in tanks like this, and what I should do for plants. I don't know much about planting, as most of my experience has been drop-in plants from PetSmart. Thanks again! I look forward to hearing about your cool ideas!

Also, any suggestions as to how the heck to get algae out of clear sealant would be wonderful. Otherwise I may have to drain the tank, cut the old stuff out, re-seal the thing, and wait a couple weeks to put water back in.

2. T

Terabyte Valued Member Member

Depending on how old the tank is you might want to re-seal it anyway. You could do a massive school of neon tetras, but idk how they do in cylindrical tanks. I personally hate them because they aren't good for fish anyway.

3. OP
    OP
    Gilly

Gilly Valued Member Member

the tank isn't cylindrical its still rectangular. Essentially just a taller, and thicker 29 gallon tall tank. I may reseal it. That's a good point. It's not an old tank, its just got algae etched into the sealant. The last owner obviously did not clean the tank much. I do not want to use ANY chemicals or solvents, and am actually curious if the algae will soften over time once water sits in the tank again.

Advertising