Sand in filter

1. Janmitch22 Member Member

Anyone have sand in your tanks?

I have a HOB filter and a  sponge filter in my 55. Lately I've been moving things around in my tank and I think excess sand is in the HOB filter; it's making a grating noise, like something is in the impeller housing, probably big grains of sand. I've rinsed it out many times, but it's still making that noise. Anyone have a trick for getting the sand out?

2. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

I have no idea ... Did you try to clean the motor (the little propeller) of your filter? It gets clogged up with time and needs cleaning too. If you did clean it, then I don't know what else you could do. Is there any way you could take the propeller further apart to see what's clogging it? But don't do it if it's at the risk of breaking your filter! It's just a guess on my part.

I have also read that this is a common problem with having sand - that it does clog up filters. And if you don't stir and move the sand around then again you're facing another problem: dangerous pockets of toxic gases (methane, etc ...). I have no experience with sand but it seems to me like it isn't a very convenient substrate (I may be totally wrong).

3. Janmitch22 Member Member

I thought I did a thorough cleaning earlier, but I did another. All I could do was flush it out repeatedly with water.

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I have sand in three tanks and don't really have problems with it getting into the filters unless I am stirring it up. then I just take the filter apart and clean it good.
    If you have something like a turkey baster you could squirt dechlorinated water down in the little hole the impeller goes in, that should help. remember to use dechlorinated water to clean all parts of the filter so you can preserve as much of the bacteria as possible.
    CArol

5. Janmitch22 Member Member

Turkey basters...not just for turkey anymore!

Thanks, Butterfly, I'll try that. I didn't really think about it, but I've only started having this problem when I've been stirring the sand or rearranging things. It figures that I wouldn't think to turn off the filter. But I've wised up now. I haven't turned the filter back on because I've been 'aquascaping', but we'll see what's what when the sand settles.

6. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Do a search here on FishLore with the words Malaysian Trumpet and read up on these snails. They do a great job of keeping your stand stirred where you wouldn't have to do it anymore. They also eat dead plant material and leftover food on the bottom. Howevery, they are livebearers and multiply like crazy if you are overfeeding. I have them in my tanks and love them! ;)

7. Janmitch22 Member Member

Thanks, Gunnie. I took a while to look for some Malaysian Trumpet snails, but there were none to be found locally. I got some black mystery snails...even if they don't do the job, they look neat.  :D

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Jan I have plenty of Malaysian Trumpet Snails . If you would like some PM me.
    The mystery snails will eat what drops to the bottom of the tank but won't do anything for keeping the sand stirred.
    Carol

9. Janmitch22 Member Member

I really wish I could get some snail mail. It's just not possible right now, though. What's up with that egg?

10. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

The egg! :D In the "others" forum is a thread titled neopets. It tells you where you can get an egg also. It will hatch on May first and I don't know what will hatch out ;D
    Carol

11. Janmitch22 Member Member

My sister does some Neopettage...we're far apart in age, but she still tells me what the "in" things are.

Never mind on that filter I was talking about...it conked out and I have a Whisper 60 now. I didn't realize it died until I started smelling the rottage in the filter...bleh. Then I noticed that the usual grinding noise was gone. So busy that I didn't even notice.