Sand for freshwater

wolfman21

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or links to websites that sell light colored (white, off-white) sand that can be used in Freshwater tanks. So far most of the light colored sand I see is meant for reef tanks. Any ideas?

Bede

We use pool filter sand bought from a pool supply store. Its white/off-white and costs $8 for a 50 pound bag.

wolfman21

And that doesn't influence pH or anything like that?

andy65

Nope,pool filter sand will not influence Ph levels. We use it in all our tanks and every thing is fine.

griffin

another option would be play sand. it's cheaper, but takes longer to clean. I wouldn't really recommend going to the pet store since the sands there will likely all cost drastically more than play or pool filter sand

wolfman21

I got the pool filter sand and got it cleaned and into the tank and now the tank is VERY cloudy. Anyone know why this is and how I can get it to not be cloudy. I'm assuming it shouldn't take sand a long time to settle but it seems to be cloudy. Also, if I put an airstone in there, is it going to kick all that stuff up again?

andy65

The cloudiness with go away in a few hours to a day.It will settle down and the filter will take it out.

wolfman21

so I should get the filter going? I just don't want to get any sand in the filter, but I suppose the tiny stuff won't hurt. Any idea of the effect of the air stone?

andy65

99.99% of the sand is on the bottom of your tank. The filter will take out the tiny stuff that is making your tank cloudy.

Coryd55

If you put the sand in after the water then that causes the sand to get stirred up more. Also if you poured the water at a fast flow rate over the sand. But as andy said the cloudiness should go away overnight, if not by tonight. Get the filter going as well as that will take out some of the smaller stuff. It shouldn't hurt your filter. The airstone shouldn't kick up anything after the cloudiness settles unles you put it an inch under the sand and have a ridiculously strong air pump. But I am almost positive that is not your case.

wolfman21

I put the sand in before the water but I have a Python siphon, and that fills pretty fast. I turned on the filter, so hopefully that will take care of things.

lilsoccakid

it tøok me a couple big water changes and some time (2-3 days) to settle

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom