Sand? Debris? Help

1. blusshed Well Known Member Member

I have a 20gal long with white aquarium sand.

During water changes it just seems like it's impossible to get all of the debris out of the water. It looks hideous and bothers me SO much.

Does anybody else have this problem? No matter if I do a 75% w/c or a 50% or a 20% there is absolutely no cure to this that I've found...

Considering that I spot clean their waste with a turkey baster on a daily basis, and do weekly w/c I don't think this should be happening.

There were 2 juvie axolotls in there, now since I moved one today, I wanted to do a fresh 50% w/c... And now the tank is ridiculous looking.

:mad:

Tomorrow I'm going to make a run to the LFS, and buy filter media, since the 2 I have in the Penguin 150 in the 20gal currently are getting old, and since the bioload was cut down, I'll change one, just to freshen things up to see if that can be the issue as well...

2. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

my cichlid tank did the same exact thing!! it was soo annoying because i would do a huge water change and suck up as much stuff as i could see, but as soon as i went to fill it up, bam stuff everywhere!!
    i had white sand also and whatever i did it would not 100% clean, or even look decent. i just grew to accept it.

3. blusshed Well Known Member Member

I would accept it besides the fact that the debris is all floating around and the sand is clean? Oye vey! :(

its like i can actually get the sand almost 100% clean, but not the water and that's what I'm replacing! Ripping my hair out lol.

It just looks dingy?

Attached Files:

4. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

What ever you do, do not replace all the filter media at once, or your BB will perish.
    Change only one piece and then wait for 3 weeks and change another - and so on.
    OK now your cloudy water issue.
    Because you have sand as a substrate, when you clean your tank, the very small pieces get suspended in the water, and that is what clouds your water.
    On your trip to LFS grab some filter media that is very fine ( some people call them polish pads ) and this will remove the fine particals of sand from the water
    When you do a W/C use a gravel vac, which will lift up all the ditrious material from the sand

5. blusshed Well Known Member Member

No I know to only replace one at a time, :) thank you though!

And hmm I'm going tomorrow hopefully so I'll ask them about it!
    i do hope that can help me!

6. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

OK on the filter media change - good
    Finer particles need finer filter media to clear them from suspension in the water.
    I personally dont use sand for this very reason along with some other reasons.
    Good luck

7. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Yea i understand what you are saying now. The water is dirty probably because your filter media is old like you said.
    Like Thai Aquarium owner said dont change too much filter media at once. but by taking slender out it will help that alot, you should be able to change one of the cartridges with no problem. just keep a close eye.

8. blusshed Well Known Member Member

i had to use sand for my axolotls :) I didn't like the bare bottom idea.
    thanks for the help!

Right, there are already 2, plus the biowheel which is supposed to "house the BB" lol so swishing one around and exchanging one should be okay. I'll try to get the media that was suggested and see if it helps me...

9. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Yea exactly.
    Hopefully your water clears up soon!!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Okay so I got Fluval Polish Pads since the LFS didn't carry any other brands at all, put 2 pieces in. Had to reconfigure my filter since the biowheel didn't have enough strength to spin lol. But figured it out but now the tank is a real disaster zone. Yikes.

lets hope it clears up by tonight or water change here I come.

11. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Hopefully it clears up!! I know it will tho, it's going to look nice and clear watch :)

12. blusshed Well Known Member Member

I think it's clearing up, but I'm going to do another w/c.

LOL the sand is still gross... but the water isn't as cloudy looking.

8dcd1342ffbe481ba72957ad62124a2709256b14e48fa12e29cf82a48dfb675a.jpg
    Clearer water, sand is moderately "clean".

I think with another w/c to freshen things up, and stir up the sand, it'll do the trick!

Isn't Hellven already growing? Even my hubbs said that she looks giant.

Although, I think "she" may be a "he" but whatever ;)

Real men wear pink, right?

13. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Haha she looks a lot plumper. :p and yea that should get your water nice and clear.
    If she is a he, he wears pink nicely ;)

14. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

wow, what is it, where did you get it and can one go in a community tank?

15. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Hellven is an axolotl. :)

I got her/him from my LFS, but they usually don't get them in.

No, they can't go into a community tank because they eat whatever can fit in their mouth, and they also need either fine soft sand, or bare bottom tanks.

They're also cold-water.

Just google "axolotl care" and you'll find LOADS of info on them!

And I'm available to answer questions as well! I have 2, but one isn't doing very well... Working on that right now, though!

16. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

yes, oh well I googled it and found out I couldn't get one boo hoo. But they sure are cool looking.