sand blasting sand brands.....

bizaliz3

There are several different brands that make black sand blasting coal slag. However, the only one you usually see referenced on fishlore and other fish sites, is the "black diamond" brand. Why is that?

I currently use black diamond blasting sand in my tanks. I need more, but the tractor supply company is kind of far away. I have a Menards very close by that carries "black blast blasting sand". They used to have the black beauty brand, now it is "black blast". It would save me a lot of time to just get the "black blast" brand at menards. But I am very afraid of trying any other brand since people in the fish hobby always seem to talk about black diamond only! And that is the kind I have experience with.

I am hoping for some clarification on the brand situation. Why is black diamond the only one mentioned anywhere? Are there any folks on here who have used multiple brands of sand blasting sand? Are there any differences? Why exactly is black diamond the brand of choice?

Genavelle

It could simply be that Black Diamond is easier to find for a lot of people. Personally, when I was looking for black sand, Black Diamond was the only option I could really find (other than the expensive 1 lb pet store ones). I had heard of Black Beauty as well, but couldn't find any way to get it..and I've never heard of your black blast sand.

I would think if it's the same, with nothing added to it or anything, and not too coarse or sharp, then it would probably be fine.

LeoDiaz

There are several different brands that make black sand blasting coal slag. However, the only one you usually see referenced on fishlore and other fish sites, is the "black diamond" brand. Why is that?

I currently use black diamond blasting sand in my tanks. I need more, but the tractor supply company is kind of far away. I have a Menards very close by that carries "black blast blasting sand". They used to have the black beauty brand, now it is "black blast". It would save me a lot of time to just get the "black blast" brand at menards. But I am very afraid of trying any other brand since people in the fish hobby always seem to talk about black diamond only! And that is the kind I have experience with.

I am hoping for some clarification on the brand situation. Why is black diamond the only one mentioned anywhere? Are there any folks on here who have used multiple brands of sand blasting sand? Are there any differences? Why exactly is black diamond the brand of choice?
Hope this helps.

bizaliz3

Hope this helps.

Cool thanks! So you used the Black Blast brand then? I noticed you mentioned it is much finer than the 20/40 BDBS. That is the kind I am using in my two 55 gallon tanks. I am nervous about getting something finer than that!! Is it pretty close to the BDBS 30/60 then?

Being that the Black Blast brand is at menards and the Black Diamond brand is at the local Tractor supply company, it confuses me even more about why the most commonly used brand is Black Diamond. Because there are a LOT more menards stores out there than there are tractor supply companies... With that being said, you would think a lot more people would be talking about Black Blast rather than Black Diamond. Simply due to availability. I just don't get it!!!! What is magic about Black Diamond?!

I want one 50 pound bag of black sand blasting sand (technically coal slag). I am using it for two 10 gallon tanks and a 29 gallon. Since a 50 pound bag is $8, maybe I will just give the Black Blast a try in one of the 10 gallon tanks. If I like it, I will put it in the other two as well. If I hate it for some reason, if it is too fine for my liking or whatever....I suppose even if I spend another $8 to get some of the black diamond 20/40, I would still have spent way less than if I got aquarium sand! I might just have to give it a try. The photo of your tank is GORGEOUS! And I love how the blasting sand looks in my 55s...and essentially this is the same stuff....so.... I think I will go ahead and give it a try. Menards is about 5 minutes away. The tractor supply co is 30 minutes away. That still isn't horrible....but a quick 5 minute drive sounds much more appealing!

If I go through with it, I will give my review/comparison between the two brands.

LeoDiaz

I used both brands BD and the menards, the menards ones is finer but idk how it compares to 30/60BD because I never got that fine grade. Thanx yea black sand is awesome.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
aquachris
Replies
Views
bizaliz3
Replies
Views
Basil
Replies
Views