Sand as substrate?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by Deesk06, Jul 20, 2015.

1. D

Deesk06 Valued Member Member

Hey yall! I have owned a fish tank for about 2 months now. Love it. Love the hobby!! I started with a 13 Gallon wide screen. Had 4 neon tetras and a betta. I today just got a new tank, 5.5G to put JUST my betta in, so he is happy! Wanna keep everything stress free. I chose my substrate to be sand..I have a question about cleaning the tank. When I clan it should I take out all of the plants and decor? Or so I keep it in there? I read somewhere to take it all out, stir up the sand so the poop comes to the top. But I am not 100% sure of this! That's why I am asking you all!! How would I go about cleaning the substrate with sand?

Also! I just started cycling today..I put in gravel from my established tank in a stocking and put it in this tank, as well as a plant..plus I took my filter from my established tank, and stuck it in about 1/4 of the way and swooshed it around a bit..maybe just maybe some good bacteria came off of it! How long should I wait before sticking my betta in there?

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! :)
    Sand is a good choice and looks great. You don't need to remove any plants or decor, that will hurt the plants (if they are live plants). If you Have a gravel vacuum, simply just Hoover over the sand and get all the poop and other stuff out. If you have a test kit, I would check daily to see if there's any ammonia spikes. If you haven't already, I would pick up some Conditioner like Prime which detoxifies ammonia. I would add the betta as soon as the tank is cycled and there's 0 ammonia and nitrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    D

Okay awesome !! Thank you!! And I will buy a test kit tomorrow. I REALLY wanna buy a 55G tank...but I will not do that until I have had a tank for 6 months - 1 year...anyway back on topic, I will get a test kit tomorrow! I'm happy I invested in another tank for the betta. He is older I believe, plus I think he has a tumor growing :( so I wanna make what days he has left the best they could be and the most stress free!! I will let nature take him. I could not bring myself to kill lefty(betas name) my first fish. I will let nature take its course and give him the best care possible!

4. AquaticBrandon

Sorry about your betta :(. Hope he gets well soon. Also, for your 13 gallon tank I would get more neon tetras. Neon tetras are schooling fish which need 6+ of their own. With a bigger school they will be happier :)

5. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

You don't need to stir the sand to get the poop to the top as it sits on the top already (unlike gravel).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. OP
    OP
    D

Yep! Was thinking of getting 2 more neon tetras! And maybe some hatchets! Or gourami! Any other possible ideas? I have a wide screen, so the length actually measures the same as a 20G..so I figure I have a little extra room to work with. But I do not want to overstock my tank at all. Want it to be just at the perfect amount. No more no less!

7. AquaticBrandon

What are the exact dimensions of the tank?

8. OP
    OP
    D

24.25x8x16

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice