Sand and Filter input

Poseidon

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all
I'm not sure where to put this cause it's involves both substrate and filters. anyway to my question

I will soon be purchasing a Fluval 260 bow front tank which includes a Fluval 405 external filter, but the tank design mean that the filter tubes come up through the bottom rather than dropping them into the top of my tank.
It looks very neat and tidy as the input and output pipes only come up a few inches,

So I'm wondering if anyone has anything similar and if it's still OK to use sand substrate because i really want to use sand. and if so how do i stop the sand being sucked into the filter.

Thanks all. Love the site

Stephen

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've never had that particular setup, but to stop the sand going into the filter, you could:

a) extend the intake tube so it is above the level of the sand
b) put some brand new, never seen detergent panty-hose over the intake tube. You want to be careful with this though, as it will also trap any larger particles and potentially block the intake tube.

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Is the Fluval 405 'external' their canister filter model labled as such? If so, as Ryan mentioned ... simply position the intake so it sits at a decent level above the sand. Not sure how deep your tank is ... but with sand, you don't want the intake to be too close. Some species of fish will also 'kick up' the sand.

Also, remember to turn off the filter when cleaning/stirring the sand.

Poseidon

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks for the advice guys

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You're welcome.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yw

Kronnn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, glad to see you got some help, I was writing a reply on my phone yesterday when my phone decided to be tempermental and delete my long speil. So what part of Dublin are you from?

Poseidon

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hey Kronn

I'm in Clonsilla.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can use a sponge prefilter slipped over the end of your filter intake. I've never used any Fluval aquarium kits, but have used their canister filters- great products IMO.

Poseidon

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for letting me know about the filter as well harpua, I really love the design of tank because it means there's no tubes going out the back of the tank. i just hope that the filter intake and out are high enough that the sand won't get sucked in.
Can't wait for pay day

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have used Fluval canisters plumbed up and over the back of the tank, rather than the type of setup that you have. I think it should work as long as you can get the intake high enough above your sand.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You may find that you need to extend the intake tube.

My best advice would be to find some pvc piping that will slide over the intake. Cut the pipe to desired/required length, and use aquarium safe silicone to hold it in place.

I've seen these setups before, awesome design, and very neat & tidy.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Agree, the tidy look would be a real draw for me.

Just a thought, if you want to keep the look super clean and minimize the appearance of equipment in your display, you could add an inline heater to your Fluval canister. Hydor makes one that has consistently great reviews, I'm not sure where to find them in Ireland but here is a link from US so you can see what I'm talking about:

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
And, thinking along the lines of harpua, you can always put decorations/rocks around the intake to hide the pvc piping.

People wouldn't even know it was there

Poseidon

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Harpua thanks for that link...i will be looking into something like that for sure now.
And ryan thanks for the suggestion. when i get the tank I will see how high the intake can be adjusted and go from there, and if needs be i will hide it with driftwood or something like you said

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads