Sand Affecting Ph?!

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hey guys.

Lately I have been having problems with my 10g tank and its ph level.

For some reason the ph keeps rising to 8.0.. What happens is I do a large water change it goes down to 7.4 (right where I want it) and in a week's its at 8.0 again.

I have tried a couple things including getting a gravel vac to suck up the dead plant stuff. But that isn't really helping.

Then I thought since I use ro water and I put aquarium salt in to add more minerals maybe for some reason my calculations were off and the gh and kh are too high. I do not have a test kit but I have had many tanks using my methods and I've never had a problem. I used to use the test strips before I got the liquid tests so I know it works. So I did a water change without adding any salt and nothing happened.

So then I thought we'll what if it's something in the tank......

I have half aquarium gravel and half sand in my tank. The gravel is fine as it was in another tank before I used it but the sand is new. So I took another look at the sand and thought it kind of looks like crushed coral?!!! But it didn't say it on the bag so I am very confused... It is national geographic white aquarium substrate...

Does anyone know if this could be causing my problem?

CraniumRex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I believe it could. Not sure if you kept the bag but I have read of others saying it reads on the back that it could alter pH.

Edited - sorry you already said it didn’t say so. Odd. Only way to know for sure is put a handful of sand in with water and test in a few days.

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
CraniumRex said:
I believe it could. Not sure if you kept the bag but I have read of others saying it reads on the back that it could alter pH.

Edited - sorry you already said it didn’t say so. Odd. Only way to know for sure is put a handful of sand in with water and test in a few days.
That's what I am doing. Just to be safe I doing the gravel also. If it is not the sand what else could it be?? My tank is planted idk if that has an effect. It is stocked with a betta and a mystery snail. My betta rip his fins really bad on a decoration I had in there and they were just starting to heal but now I think he has fin rot. Do I would like to get this cleared up as fast as possible.

Update: just tested the sand water it has been sitting overnight. I guess the sand is coming out because it reads past my low ph test.... It was in ro water that reads nothing.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom