Samurai Gourami's Randomly Dying

srut2000

Hello, I have a tank with used to be 6 Samurai Gourami's over the past couple days three have just dyed out of nowhere I always test the water after each one passing and everything is good. My nitrite is zero, my nitrates are 5 ppm, and anomia 0 also ph 7.4. The only thing that has changed in the tank is I added six otocinclus fish in, all my other fish in the tank are doing good.

jinjerJOSH22

Hello, I have a tank with used to be 6 Samurai Gourami's over the past couple days three have just dyed out of nowhere I always test the water after each one passing and everything is good. My nitrite is zero, my nitrates are 5 ppm, and anomia 0 also ph 7.4. The only thing that has changed in the tank is I added six otocinclus fish in, all my other fish in the tank are doing good.
Hi, could you you fill in this emergency template?

srut2000

Hi, could you you fill in this emergency template?
Tank
What is the water volume of the tank?
29 gallons
How long has the tank been running?
3 years
Does it have a filter?
Yes
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What is the water temperature?
76-78
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
5 five brilliant raspboras
3 jili Cory’s
1 unknown Cory
2 samurai gourami
3 otocinclus fish
3 ghost shrimp

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
Once a week
How much of the water do you change?
About 20%
What do you use to treat your water?
Seachem Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
What do you use to test the water?
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:0 ppm
Nitrite:0 ppm
Nitrate:5 ppm
pH:7.4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
Every other day
How much do you feed your fish?
two finger pinches
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Fluval bug bites tropical bug bites
Do you feed frozen?
Once a week
Do you feed freeze-dried foods?
No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
About 3 year
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
Couple days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Good when the tank comes on then later in day they will just be found dead
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
None
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
None
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
None

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
I have a tank with used to be 6 Samurai Gourami's over the past couple days three have just dyed out of nowhere I always test the water after each one passing and everything is good. My nitrite is zero, my nitrates are 5 ppm, and anomia 0 also ph 7.4. The only thing that has changed in the tank is I added six otocinclus fish in, all my other fish in the tank are doing good.

jinjerJOSH22

:( well that sucks, sorry to hear.
Any idea how old the fish were when you bought them.
It's possible you introduced something with the addition of Oto's especially since a lot of the time they are wild caught.

srut2000

:( well that sucks, sorry to hear.
Any idea how old the fish were when you bought them.
It's possible you introduced something with the addition of Oto's especially since a lot of the time they are wild caught.
Not sure how old they were but they were fully grown when I got them. I got them all at the same time I’ve had them for about 3 years. I am wondering if it’s just old age.

jinjerJOSH22

Not sure how old they were but they were fully grown when I got them. I got them all at the same time I’ve had them for about 3 years. I am wondering if it’s just old age.
Could be, looking at it 5 to 8 is the average, so it's always possible.
Not sure how soft your water is but a pH of 7.4 or so is on the high side for these fish. So could be a mixture of a few things(likely is).

Well given how often these kinds of fish don't make it a week with a lot of Aquarists, I say good job on keeping them this long.

srut2000

Yeah I thought of that but I never seen them attack anything in the tank before.

MacZ

Is it possible the new fish are aggressive or going after the other fish?
Here are some earlier threads:

Whoever Said Otos Are Docile | Otocinclus Forum | 332196

Otocinclus attacking other fish | Otocinclus Forum | 226674

Not saying this is what is happening but worth considering.
I doubt it. It's a rare occurance and not the case these fish really attack others. In such cases the Otos were usually starving or missing animal derived nutrients in their diet, starting to eat the slime coat of other fish out of desperation.

Sphaerichthys are quite finnicky, and true blackwater fish, that are hard to get as tankbreds. Wild caught blackwater fish don't do well and don't live long in harder, more alkaline water. They can be much more susceptible to bacterial infections.

I just had to observe this in action a few days ago, loosing a wild caught checkerboard cichlid after moving to the upgraded tank with 1.5 points higher pH than before (4.5 -> 5.5 - 6 pH). It succumbed to a bacterial infection only 16 hours after moving.

I presume the Otos brought some unknown bacteria strains with them, which the gourami didn't respond well to.

Slowly lowering hardness (which with these fish you absolutely have to know!) and pH would be the best course of action. Optimize keeping conditions.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Violetskies
Replies
Views
darthlung
65 Gallon Tank Random die off..
Replies
Views
Ophanim
Replies