Sammy's best day ever! A nom story

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gena, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

I just turned on my aquarium light and saw a snail in my 30 gallon tropical freshwater tank! I picked it out right away and Sammy had a nice breakfast. I went to sit back down in front of my tank to surf the internet and I see like five other pest snails in my tank too! So I remove them and Sammy gets a bigger breakfast. So at this point, I'm a little concerned. I look back and I find another snail. Which I remove and Sammy has for dessert. While I am happy to have free snails, I"m still kinda ticked about how I got them. They are still being sneaky and hiding on the substrate. When they start going on the glass it's going to be open freaking season.

Sammy is singing that old jingle, "Yummy, yummy, yummy, I got love in my tummy." And she begging for me to give her MOAR!

2. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Well at least he had a good breakfast to start his little fishy day. :;hi1Alison

3. OP
    OP
    Gena

But I never had snails in my FW tank before. So I'm like ?????????????????

The nice thing is all the ones I found were the perfect size and crunchiness for Sam-Sam. I got a picture of them before they met Sammy too, which I'll post soon.

4. OP
    OP
    Gena

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437601084.539629.jpg

Pond snails maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Did you add anything to your tank? Maybe you had a hitchhiker or two when you did.

6. OP
    OP
    Gena

I bought a lot of plants from someone about a week ago so that's probably it. Guess soaking in hydrogen peroxide doesn't do jack.

7. Dom90

Yep that's probably it. When I buy plants, I carefully inspect every stem, or piece of stuff inside and try to find the hitchhikers before I plant them.

8. OP
    OP
    Gena

It took a week for me to see anything, so wouldn't that mean they were eggs when they got in my tank? I caught 7 this morning in a fifteen minute period and I haven't see another since. :confused:

9. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

They look like bladder (pond) snails to me, yep, you likely had an egg sack hitch in :/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. OP
    OP
    Gena

I think the snails made a fatal error in coming into my home. A very unfortunate fatal error. Now whenever I go over to my FW tank, Sammy gets all excited because she thinks it's nom time. So far I've removed nine snails from the tank and Sammy has eaten every single one happily. Maybe I'll find one small enough for Thumbelina to enjoy..

11. Dom90

Just be careful not to over feed or do more water changes :)

12. Tiny goatfish

Tiny goatfish Well Known Member Member

I bet Sammy is very happy :)

13. OP
    OP
    Gena

I'll be feeding snails instead of other things. Before I had difficulties getting them(LFS didn't want to go through the trouble, they'd die in the mail, etc) so Sammy didn't get as much snails as would be ideal- I had to feed her other things instead. I'd like at least 50% of her diet to be snails. Right now she's on a junk food kick. Freeze dried krill. -.- She loves it. It'll like the puffer version of nachos or movie theatre popcorn. :;ha

I found some more snails today(sadly for them, this meant their demise) and I think I found some eggs but I decided to leave them be.

14. Scoutsfish

Scoutsfish Well Known Member Member

I finally gave up on trying to remove pest snails. I think I have 2-3 different kinda now in one tank... I've found that bettas or gouramis seem to do a good job at getting rid of them. It's either that or the net right after the lights come on and they're all on the glass.

You could try to remove them making a trap. Getting a bottle and putting some food in it and sinking it to the bottom of your tank at night, then removing it before the lights come on in the morning. It should help catch quite a few.

Why not start up a little tank/bowl specifically for these snails? It would help get them out of your main tank while also giving you a constant supply for Sammy:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice