Salutations

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by Alhana, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Alhana

AlhanaValued MemberMember

Hello everyone. Just a little post to introduce myself since I just kinda jumped into the forum head first. I originally joined to get a little insight into my "rescue" feeder goldfish after I realized this was the forum I was always reading on my phone when searching for information on random fish related things.

I started with fish keeping a looooong time ago, after a family friend had an aquarium for a long while. She had a goldfish that I really liked and between myself and the friend we convinced my parents to let me have the fish. Well long story short, it died right before I was going to take possession of it. So after hemming and hawing for a bit my parents took me to the petstore and we got my first 20 gallon aquarium.

I had that tank in my bedroom for about 2 or 3 years, then it moved out into the living room for a few more years and then back in my bedroom for awhile. Then after an accident involving cleaning the tank I lost all of my favorite fish and took it down. When I was 16 I got a job at a Petsmart and have been working there part time ever since. Started off in the Aquatics section, was a dog trainer for about 10 years and now back in Pet Care part time.

My current set up is a 20 high that has kinda run away with itself. My original goal was to just have a school of tetras and then a few platy and guppy. In reality the first year my tank was setup I couldn't keep any of my male fish alive. Still not sure what caused that.
    Currently I have:
    3 Marimo moss balls
    8 Glowlight tetra
    3 Rasbora Hets ( I know I need more, on the lookout for a few)
    4 Small horned nerite snails ( I love these, everyone should have some!)
    1 Single tail telescope goldfish rescue (thanks to the forum in giving him an ID)*
    And a bunch of random livebearer fry (more rescues)

*For anyone new to the hobby, I don't recommend keeping a goldfish in your tropical tank, but he is a rescue and hopefully a temporary addition.

My current goals in fish keeping are:
    1. start working with live plants and learning how to care for them
    2. Figure out a more appropriate placement for my rescued goldfish
    3. Shrimp!

Hopefully if I did it right, I put in a picture of my tank in its current state. I just added an anubias nana and an anubias congenesis. I will be adding some contortion val soon and hopefully some subwassertang if I can find it.

Thank you to everyone who has chatted with me thus far on the forum and I hope to meet more!!
    April 10.jpg

2. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!

3. Five 97

Five 97Well Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore, Glad you joined!

4. bubblegum-heart

bubblegum-heartValued MemberMember

Welcome to fishlore! :happy:

5. Hill Dweller

Hill DwellerWell Known MemberMember

Welcome, these folks sure are a wealth of knowledge! I too always found myself on fishlore when searching for random fishy answers!

6. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylahWell Known MemberMember

Welcome! :)

7. OP
    OP
    Alhana

AlhanaValued MemberMember

Yeah it started with the nerite snails. I kept thinking we had these snails at work and we almost never sold them, what is really the point of them? Then I did some research and now our store can barely keep the smaller horned nerites in stock. Almost all of the employees have one.

Thank you everyone = )