Salty stuff in a freshwater tank?

1. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

Hey Fishlorians!

I haven't been on in about a month. Everything looks way different; not sure what I think yet. Anyway...

My wife would like me to start an african cichlid tank. I have 2 30lb bags of live agronite sand left over from my saltwater facelift and about 50 lbs of previously live rock. The rock has been dry for about 3+ months now. Is it safe to use this stuff in a freshwater african cichlid tank or not? I would prefer to stuff I already own instead of buying new supplies but I'm sure if the live sand will somehow destroy my water quality as all the microinvertabrates slowly die from the freshwater. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone know if these fish like current? I have a pump that puts out 1050 gph as well that I could with the tank but I'm unsure if the african lakes are relatively calm or if they have some current to them.

Thanks everyone!
    Scott

2. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Patience my friend - not everyone has experience with SW or africans, let alone both, so may not be comfortable replying ;)

The arognite sand I would think should be ok, in fact I'm sure I've read of using arognite for africans.

The (now dead) rock, I'd be a little cautious of adding to FW system. LR is very porous, meaning that it is easy for it to absorb things. Some things to consider that may be trapped in the LR (even though it's dead now) - Salt, Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphate (especially), any and all trace elements of a SW system (strontium, bromide, iron etc).

All of these things could leach back into a fw system. It's up to you, but I think there are too many risks if it were me.

I wouldn't put live sand in a FW system either - the die off/pollution risk outweighs the cost of plain sand (not too mention it will also contain all the traces mentioned above)

As for africans and flow - I've never kept them. There's plenty of info on the web...........

3. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

Sounds like a good excuse for a FOWLR tank then

4. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I have no idea unfortunately... The arragonite will work well to maintain a really high pH, issue being it is live, so i would say no unless someone who truly knows the story helps you out, but the live rock i have no idea. Personally, i would just get some rubbish but good looking rock and keep the other rock should you ever start another Salty tank. As for substrate, cheap PFS works well for african tanks, and you can also use crushed coral in the substrate if you'd like.

African Cichlids absolutley love current, and its good for your tank anyway to keep it clean. I have 1250 gallons per hour total turnover between powerheads and filters in my 55gallon tank and the fish love swimming in the strongest areas. They are only half their potential size, so if juvies can manage that without issue, then id say yes it will do the world of good.

Happily i am well informed on african taks so i can help you through it if you like?

5. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

hehehe, the fowlr might cost you more than rock and sand for an african display :giggle:

6. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Might?!... haha :;smack

7. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

Like I said I already have a reef tank so a fowlr will be cheap in comparison

8. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Yeah i know about your reef :):)

The decision is yours

9. ScottsTanks Well Known Member Member

The whole project is on hold for now. Fiancee wont let me get more fish until after the wedding.