saltwaterfish.com... Are they good???

1. TreyGiles Member Member

I am in the process of starting a FOWLR 75 gallon marine tank. So far I have the tank with a light hood, with lights, 2 filtration systems, 2 powerheads and a few other accessories. All I really lack is a good substrate, (I'm going for live sand) some live rock, and a protein skimmer. I am considering purchasing my fish from saltwaterfish.com. Has anybody on here used them before? If so, are they good? I plan on ordering fish from them, however I will purchase my live rock locally so I do not loose a lot of the good life on it like I would if it were shipped.

Also, is it possible for me to start my tanks cycle and add a protein skimmer later in the tanks life?

All answers will be helpful.

Thank you! Trey...:;scuba

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Trey. Hopefully one of our salt tank members will help you out before long. Hang in there! (sorry, I don't have salt experience)
    Ken

3. TreyGiles Member Member

No problem, I'm patient...

4. reefdude Member Member

Hello Trey! I've never used saltwaterfish.com but, yes you can begin your water cycle and add the protein skimmer a little later.

5. TreyGiles Member Member

That's good. Take note that I have become more patient since I started fish keeping and I am really in no big rush. However, I do think that I can wait on the protein skimmer, especially since I will be performing a fish less cycle. Still, if anybody has used satlwaterfish.com, then give me a heads up as to if they are good or not.

6. TreyGiles Member Member

I have made my decision. I have been doing research and have learned that saltwaterfish.com is a pretty poorly run dealership. With that said, I will purchase my fish locally.

7. reefdude Member Member

Personally Trey I think thats the best choice regardless of any circumstances. Your fish wont stress out as much, you get to see the fish swim, eat and other behaviors before the purchase and you can get a good relationship going with your LFS which never hurts, mine has been very good to me! Best of luck !:;rocker

8. TreyGiles Member Member

Luck will have to be on my side! Check out the blog I have started for my marine tank.

9. Oil_Fan Well Known Member Member

I've also read of issues with that company. After issues I've had with buying live stock online, I've come down to it's more cost effective to deal a good LFS. Sure you'll pay more for a fish but you'll see the fish and can verify that it'll eat.

And most of the time, you'll get a far healthier fish which can handle the stress of being moved to a new tank.

One question you should always ask a LFS: How long have you had the fish? If they don't know, I'd be hesitant on buying from them. I won't buy a fish unless they've had the fish for a good 2 or 3 weeks. Now of course they could lie to you but if it's a good LFS, they'll hold the fish for you (though you may need to put a deposit down).