saltwater

joeshome

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I curenty have a 30 gallon fish tank and I want to conver it to saltwater. I do have a aquaClear fish tank filter I was wording if I can put that filter on my saltwater tank. I was also wording if I can start my fish tank out with the Cardinal, Pajama fish. Can somebody give me some help on what fish are good for starting saltwater fish tanks thanks. Can somebody please help me out I am new at saltwater. please someony help.

finley37

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think you'll get mixed answers on this one.... from what I've read I think its a matter of personal preference whether or not to use a filter like that, I have one on my 55 gal Saltwater tank, just have to rinse it good when you do water changes. I don't know about the fish, I don't have any in my tank yet either.... Good luck and happy fishing

joeshome

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you for that info and I hope when you put fish in yours I hope that you tell me what you put in your tank.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay this is a good one first of all can you give more detail on your tank such as a skimmer? Or sump? Or what equipment other than a hang on back. Any LR? What lighting? What is your plans for salt? Not a good idea for a hang on the back filter. Save it for fresh water.Or a QT tank. You will need much more flow than that. How about what size tank you are thinking of?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Joe and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I have moved your thread to the Saltwater Beginners section of the forum to help you to receive more responses from our salty members .

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have 3 Saltwater tanks.....learning as I go also.....20 gal...with some LR,a couple small fish,HOB filter,upgrated lighting, 40 gal SH tank,rena canister, upgrated lighting, 72 BF full reef, T5 lighting,refugium, overflow box,80 lbs of LR......thankfully all r doing very well......I have had no issues with the smaller tanks and the canister filter or the HOB filter...I don't have all the "ginger" on the smaller tanks...just the basics.....it can be done!!!!!! Good luck to u!!!!!!

joeshome

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks to all hat helped me but can somebody help me with the fish ting please

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those fish will not make it thru the cycle because the water will become very toxic and fish will die. The fish that are the best for cycling a tank are damsels.

joeshome

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
when the fish make it through the cycle can I put them fish to gether also with clown fish thanks

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
joeshome said:
when the fish make it through the cycle can I put them fish to gether also with clown fish thanks
You sure can.Although certain types of damsels are more aggresive than others.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use them for cyclying tank and after the tank has completly cycled then I take them back to LFS I take everything out of the tank then catch them and put everything back into tank. They are not very much to buy around 3-5 bucks each. You will need about 4-6 damsels for your 30 gallon.This process takes about 2-3 month's to complete sometimes sooner. All tanks cycle a little different than others . After tank has completed ammonia and nitrites and nitrates rise and drop then I wait a few weeks after to make sure there is no other spikes after that do a 50% water change after taking damsels out and you should be ready to go!!!!

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
For someone who's new to saltwater, I'd have to suggest setting up the tank and letting it cycle WITHOUT any fish. This will also give you time to read up about how to keep a saltwater tank. I've had my tank for 2 months now and I still don't plan on adding any fish for a while. I've just been trying to make sure that my water parameters are solid and there aren't any fluctuations over time. You'll probably want to make some changes to the tank also which is much easier to do when there aren't any fish in there. You may change the aquascaping several times, maybe add a sump. Pretty much, you don't want to be caught off guard and have to freak out about the fish dying. I've cycled a tank with fish before (freshwater) and it was very stressful. With saltwater, there are so many more parameters to keep track of (especially if going reef) so you'll want some time to understand all of it. Just my .02

joeshome

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I currenty have a fish with live rock and I would like to add some corls and I was just asking if there is anything that I need to do to make it a reef tank. All my fish are feef safe and I would like to know is what kind of corls are going to be easy to carefor so if sombody can help me that would be good thanks

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Soft corals are much easier to take care of such as leathers,mushrooms,zoanthids,polyps, xenia and there a quite a lot more that are good corals that are easy to grow. You will probably want to get a skimmer for your tank also. how muck LR do you have? I see that you are using a hang on the back filter what are you using in it? I would suggest that you get a sump or a refugium to put under the tank as well. Can you tell me all the equipment that you have thus far?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads