Saltwater To Freshwater Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Mei Lin, Jun 19, 2018.

1. M

Mei Lin New Member Member

I've been the owner of a 50-gallon saltwater tank for a little over a month now and it's just too complicated for me...all my fish died. If I want a freshwater setup, do I have to start over or can I just convert my tank?

2. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

Whether you do salt or fresh water, it takes over a month before the tank can support life, but freshwater is easier. Go onto Google and type in 'Freshwater Nitrogen Cycle for Aquarium'. This understanding of the Nitrogen Cycle is of the utmost importance.

3. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Yes, you can definitely convert the tank, but it will need a good wash (use vinegar or pure bleach to clean it- do not use soap or any other cleaning product).

Saltwater is a tricky beast, it's certainly not for beginners. If you get on with freshwater, in future you could go back to salt.

I do agree that you need to read up about the nitrogen cycle, as this will be key to your aquarium's health. Good luck with it all!

4. Bearwithfish

Bearwithfish Valued Member Member

I agree with @finnipper59 100%

When Cycling a saltwater tank there are no real shortcuts. 4 weeks to start the cycle and up to 12 to complete it, if there are no complications and you start with a lot of live sand and a good live rock to seed the dry rock. Longer if you do not use any live rock/sand.

To convert over to fresh water you will need to get the tank SUPER cleaned up. I personally use vinegar to clean these with. do not use the substrate or rock.

As recommended look up how to cycle the tank (salt or fresh depending on where you decide to go from here)

Be aware that this hobby and all of its various components take an investment in time as much as an investment in money. The only things in this hobby that happen fast are bad things.

5. OP
    OP
    M

Mei Lin New Member Member

Thank you all!

6. snowballPLECO

snowballPLECO Valued Member Member

Saltwater you need to truly cycle your tank before you add fish, whereas freshwatwr u can justdo fishin cycle with prime

Saltwater fish are much much much more sensitive and less tolerant of water parameters, you have to have the right salinity and hardness and everything else whereas freshwater fish can tolerate and adapt much easier, saltwater you have to recreate their natural environment for them to thrive. It is complicated but it’s just as easy as saltwater once you do it for a while. I personally run a 30 gallon (FOWLR) aka fish only with live rock, once you get into Corals it’s insanely hard to manage.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice