Saltwater Themed 10 Or 5?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by emmysjj, Jun 20, 2018.

?

Which option?

1. Option 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Option 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other, please comment.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

I MAY be doing a 5 gallon shrimp build this summer (anyone remember my ranting thread? Yeah no, I have serious MTS). I also want to change one of my tanks to a ‘fantasy saltwater’ (major credit to @Jenoli42 for your beautiful tank :)). My stocking in my 10gallon is 4 male guppies and 3 male Endlers. My future 5 gallon will have neocardia (most likely RCS) and a nano schooler, leaning towards CPDs but am open to suggestions :) only the 5 gallon will have a light.
    So here’s my options:
    Option 1:
    Do the fantasy in the 5 gallon.
    Option 2:
    Get fantasy stuff for the 10 gallon and use my old stuff for my 5 gallon.
    Any suggestions? I forgot it happens I’ll be making a thread.

2. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

Honestly, I'd do it in the 5. Mainly because endlers and guppies don't really fit the them, while RCS and some colorful microfish would be convincing to someone who didn't know better. Interestingly enough though, guppies can be acclimated to saltwater!

I'd actually go pretty realistic. Use some base rock (cleaned in a vinegar bath to get rid of any saltwater materials), and get some relatively realistic looking corals. I'd go for a variety of hard and soft coral, and maybe a fake anemone. The base rock would be an amazing grazing ground for the shrimp after the tank matures. You can use some aragonite if you want to be super realistic (it would raise the PH of the water quite a bit, so do it at your own risk) or you can simply go for some tan/white sand made for saltwater.

Something that'll really help your illusion is flow. If you can get the anemone's tentacles waving around like crazy in the tank, it'll look pretty realistic. I might recommend a relatively high powered HOB, such as an Aquaclear. You'd have to "fish-proof" it, so your CPD's and shrimp can't get in there, but I think it'd work pretty well.

Another thing to consider is lighting. You'll want a blue color on the tank like you'd see in a reef tank (10000K+), and you could do something like what I did with my 5 gallon reef, with a PAR 30 reef bulb above the tank. Should provide more than enough algae for shrimp and snails, and give it a realistic look. I can link you the bulb I used if you like.

3. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

Ooh! Great ideas!
    Where did you get the base rock?
    I may keep the light, I’m really trying to stay low budget ;)

4. Lorekeeper

You can get base rock at pretty much any store that sells saltwater supplies. It's usually like $2-3 per lb, and you'd probably just need 2-3 lbs to get a good look going on.

No problem on the light! Although it's just like $7 for the bulb, if you're interested in the future :)

5. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

Will it affect my water quality?

I know what I’m asking for this holiday season. Link?

6. Lorekeeper

The base rock shouldn't at all, other than as I said, raising your PH. I'd do a vinegar bath for it to make sure to get rid of any dead organics, but other than that, there's not really anything to it other than "rock".

The 21W version should cover a 5 gallon perfectly: E27 15/21/27/36/45/54W PAR30/PAR38 LED Coral Reef Plant Grow Light Tank Aquarium | eBay

That bulb screws into any E26 socket - so you can screw it into any old desk lamp. I used it in a $10 lamp from walmart.

7. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

Thank you!

8. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

I’m actually reconsidering my CPDs because they are so expensive. I want something to go with my shrimp and won’t eat them. Any suggestions? Would Dario Dario work? Any others?

I unfortunately don’t have access to the baserock, I am buying some fake anemones, as well as a few pieces meant for glofish (nothing too gaudy, I hate the tanks that have a bunch of random junk in there. I hope for this to look a little like the ocean in Moana with the crab, with the weird colors. Lol) and those floating jellyfish which should look SUPER cool.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice