10 Gallon Tank saltwater tank

allaboutfish
ok so I plan on setting up a saltwater 10 gallon around christmas. I know a little bit about saltwater but not a lot. so I plan on a HOB filter and a powerhead. ill have 1-2 fish and 10lbs of live rock, and some regular play sand. plus a heater. oh and salt. now what else do I need? do saltwater fish need special food? here are the fish I like and id like to keep 2 if its possible.
occelaris clowns
firefish
yellow stripe clingfish
catalina goby
red spot goby
orange lined cardnalfish
oh and can I keep any starfish in here plus some shrimp or hermits? oh and a biggie. how do I do water changes?!?!?!

Daac
I could be wrong on this but I think most saltwater fish need at least 30 gallons or so that way the tank is more stable and there is room for them because the live rock takes up a lot of space and stuff. I would look at the profiles of each of the fish on the fishlore home page and see what requirements each of those fish has.

maestroDAWG
You do waterchanges the same way you do them on a regular tank
I think most of those are unsuitable for a ten gallon saltwater. You might be able to fit like 1 small goby and some inverts in there, but from what I've heard that's all I'd recommend.

allaboutfish
all of those are nano fish that are supposed to be suitable for a 10 gallon, and I know the clown would be ok.

maestroDAWG
Don't mean to burst your bubble, but they need a 30 gallon tank minimum.
I just took the time to look up the minimum tank sizes for all of them, and the only one that would be suitable is the red-spotted goby. And that's a maybe.

Daac
agreed.

allaboutfish
stupid liveaquaria! ive always heard clowns were ok in a 10 and a pair in a 20.

maestroDAWG
Nope. Never trust liveaquaria, I suspected as much that you had been looking on there... All of their tank size requirements are way off. They say 1 gallon for glowfish, but ten for zebra danios. They're the same fish! It's all about making money, because they sell a 1 gallon "glowfish bundle."

allaboutfish
darn. so are there any other recomendations for a fish for a 10 gallon, and what all I need for this tank?

Daac
Honestly for saltwater it would probably be easier to just get a bigger tank. The water parameters will be much more stable and it will be easier to maintain a tank that is understocked.

Stang Man
Don't do a 10 salt tank, wrong choice for this hobby!!! get as big of a tank that you can afford over 30 gallon!! And save your money cause it will take some bucks to do so but in the end aaaahhhh so worth the effort as long as you can do the buck thang.

allaboutfish
ehhh not salt water for me then. thanks guys

Latest threads

Top Bottom