Saltwater Tank - Forgot Conditioner!

"That person"

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am a complete newbie here. After I cleaned my saltwater tank and filled it back up I was so focused on getting the salinity right I completely forgot about the water conditioner!
The two fish were only in there maybe 10 minutes before I realized it. Do you think they will be okay?

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You added the conditioner once you realized it right? The shock will depend on how much water you removed and replaced. They should be ok. Think positive and we all do something “duh” like occasionally.

OP
"That person"

"That person"

Valued Member
Reaction score
I will. Currently Barney my clownfish seems normal but Zippy my zebra dartfish is laying on the bottom gasping but he's always been very sensitive to stress.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh yah. I added it Immediately after I realized it! And I may have.... Did a like 80% water change......
80% should never be done in a saltwater tank unless you have some kind of crazy tank emergency where it is the absolute last resort. 20-30% weekly is a good rule of thumb. As for conditioner, are you using tapwater? Not the best idea in the long run.

OP
"That person"

"That person"

Valued Member
Reaction score
So this morning Barney (clownfish) didn't eat but other than that he seems fine. Although I rearranged stuff so I don't know if he's just not comfortable yet. And I don't know how Zippy is. The best I got is he went and hid in a cave. If I see him I'll let you know

Edit: Both my snails are fine as well. They don't seemed bothered. At first they didn't come out of their she'll but as soon as a dosed it they came out and are fine.

OP
"That person"

"That person"

Valued Member
Reaction score
Are you in the US?
Yes I am. And Thanks for that. I did look before and earlier today actually and I couldn't find anything under $100-$150.
Within a month hopefully I can get that.

Do you know of a place to get a nice smaller sump? (My tank is 60gallons)
Also I've reading on it right now but I thought I'd ask. What should I add into a sump?

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Do you have a local fish store that sells used saltwater equipment? A used DIY (Do It Yourself) Sump with the baffle partitions already installed is by far the easiest and most cost effective way of doing a sump. You might be able to find one on Craigslist as well. I run a used DIY 29 gallon on my 90 gallon tank and it has worked great. As far as what a sump has it's basic components are shown in this vid:

OP
"That person"

"That person"

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well that would be wonderful but we are 9-10 hours away. Thanks though!

All my fish are fine Zippy has been out more than he was before and Barney seems more active.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well that would be wonderful but we are 9-10 hours away. Thanks though!

All my fish are fine Zippy has been out more than he was before and Barney seems more active.
Yay! I’m happy for you all!
How far are you along a trip from Alabama to Iowa?

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Weekly

Votes: 83 69.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 14 11.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 19 15.8%

Top Bottom