Advertising

1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Saltwater Sand Sifters Question

1. Esimm03 (xbox62)

Esimm03 (xbox62) Well Known Member Member

Hi,
    I was wondering if there was any saltwater invert or fish that would stir my sand bed up and would be suitable for a 50L aquarium?

Like a sw equivalent to a khuli loach.

Thanks,
    Ethan

2. stella1979

stella1979 Fishlore VIP Member

Hey Ethan. :) Hmmm, most sand sifters require big tanks because they get their food from the sand and will decimate what's available in a small tank in a very short time, and then have nothing to eat. You absolutely do NOT want to house a sand sifting fish in your tank, but you may get away with a snail.

The fighting conch gets fairly large and may need supplemental feedings, but it's a slow grower and is not a terribly picky eater. So, if you find a small one, and feed it now and then, it may do alright in a nano. I know of a few who are keeping these guys happy in 20 gallons.

3. J

Jesterrace Well Known Member Member

I have 2 conch snails in my 90 gallon and although mine only come out at night (since my wrasse thinks they might make a tasty snack during the day) they are very mobile and do a pretty good job, although I will need one or two more. A single conch should handle 20 gallons or less just fine. You could go with nassarius snails are another option but you will need a small crew of them to keep your tank clean.

4. OP
    OP
    Esimm03 (xbox62)

Hi,
    Thanks for all the replies , I've seen conches at my lfs before for £10 so may pick one up... I have one sand sifting snail (same as nassarius I think) but it only comes out when I feed the tank.

Is the fighting conch the same as your both suggesting? The ones at my lfs are pretty big already... I should possibly ask for them to order a small one.

@stella1979, by supplemental feeding do you mean copopods ? Or just that I target feed it?

@Jesterrace, I don't have much sandbead exposed... It's got quite a few rocks dotted around, will this be an issue?

Thanks,
    Ethan

Ethan

5. stella1979

Yep, the fighting conch is the one we mean. The nassarius snails are carnivores, so yeah, they eat leftover fish food. The fighting conch is a detritivore/omnivore. It will eat detritus (waste), leftover foods, daitoms and hair algae from the sand. So, supplemental feeding would be any omnivorous foods that you feed your fish. So yes, just target feed it. :)

They're said to be quite active, so idk if it's a great idea with little sand space... again, trying with a small one would be best.;)

6. J

7. OP
    OP
    Esimm03 (xbox62)

Ok, ill ask my lfs. I have tonnes of nori seaweed that my old blenny used to eat, but the new guy has taken to pellets so I just rip it Into medium sized bits and drop it in for the crabs, and they love it. Will the conch be ok with that?

I've seen some large ones at my lfs so that may be it... I need to get water sometime next week as I'm down to my last Jerry can so I'll check then

Ethan

8. J

A single conch should be okay with that. I don't personally worry too much about mine given that I have a poop machine in my tank (aka Yellow Tang), but in a smaller tank I would definitely be providing some alternative form of food for them.

9. OP
    OP
    Esimm03 (xbox62)

Ok, I drop seaweed in for my crabs so he may grab some. My new blenny poops alot (he's really small so not that much). Stupid question but will it eat the pool?.

Ethan

10. stella1979

My reading tells me that conchs eat detritus, so he should eat the poop at some point.;) @Jesterrace @Nart and @Culprit all report that their's keep the sand very clean, and cleaning fish waste is certainly part of that. It's not a stupid question.:)

11. OP
    OP
    Esimm03 (xbox62)

Hi, sorry for the late reply, been fairly busy with exams .

I spent a while today doing a little rescape as now there is no anemone all the displaced coral can go back to where they were ️... so I have more sand bed now, I'll grab a conch next time I get SW at my lfs depending on how much they are...

Not sure what the stuff is that's dirtying my sandbead, it may be diatoms but it doesn't look like it. Could it just be a mini algae bloom?

Just took some cool midnight shots! It's midnight right now and 21°c so I have nothing better to do than to go down to the tank and put the red lights on and sit and watch.

Ethan

12. Joey Bekius

Joey Bekius Valued Member Member

My personal choice would be a sand sifting starfish and nassarius snails, the starfish are a legendary sand sifter from what i hear

13. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I was going to suggest a diamond watchman goby but then read that the tank is only a 50l. In that case, nassarius snails for sure.

14. Joey Bekius

Joey Bekius Valued Member Member

Yeah in a tank that small the nassarius would probably be better than the starfish, if you wanted a goby though there are other options like randells and hi fin red banded goby, both of these will pair with a pistol shrimp too

15. OP
    OP
    Esimm03 (xbox62)

Hi, I have a nassarius snail but he doesn't do much... Only comes out for feeding, I used to have a hi fin red banded goby, but he jumped.... I've wanted a shrimp goby pair so may give it another go but I'm worried my tank will get overstocked... I already have 2 clowns, 1 neon goby and a tail spot blenny... Would that be too much? I can add more LR to the hob filter if necessary and I was thinking about getting a canister filter and just filling it with marine pure balls or something.

Ethan

P.s, at the moment I'm just stiring the sandbead manually... However one of my clowns bit me today.

Advertising