Saltwater Sand in Brackish Tank?? Question

Discussion in 'Substrates' started by ColumbianShark3, Mar 18, 2010.

1. ColumbianShark3

ColumbianShark3 Valued Member Member

Can saltwater sand be used in Brackish water or just pure Saltwater, I think my Columbian sharks would like it a lot

2. carlos413

carlos413 Valued Member Member

I don't see why not. But I am no expert.

3. locoyo386

locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

There are two reasons for using salt in freshwater aquariums, one bieng to make the water softer, and the other is for brakish fish (mollies, platys, gupys for example). If they are brackish fish, than the saltwater can be used, but if the salt is purely for softening the water, than use the aquarium salt pebbles like the ones API sells.

Not sure if the Blakc Fin Shark is a brackish fish or not. From what I know they live both in freshwater and saltwater at different stages of their lifes. I would recomend that if you want to place the shark in saltwater, to do it very slowly and allow it to acclamait to it, also I would not go any higher than maube an specific gravity of 1.021.

I was reading some about the shar, and it's mostly a saltwater fish. They live in freshwater when they are born and small, but as they grow they need to be acclamated to saltwater. Also not sure what type of setup you have but they require very large aquariums as they grow big and are very active swimmers.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice