Saltwater rock in freshwater?

1. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

There needs to be a rock section here. My question didn't really fit in driftwood or substrate.

Anyway.

Is a rock that's been in a saltwater tank safe to put in a freshwater? Would I need to soak or boil it?

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

How long ago was it is saltwater? I'd soak it with a few changes to get the salt off at least.

3. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I don't know. I only know that it spent a year in a saltwater tank. It's just such a pretty rock;)

4. Beretta Initiate Member

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would think it'd be fine after rinsing and soaking.

6. Beretta Initiate Member

There is a simple test that can be done to make sure there is no salt left of the rock that any LFS will do for free, or you could guess to make sure it is completely salt free.

7. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, I would be very cautious. SW rocks (live rock) is typically high in carbonates and calcium due to being dead coral skeletons.
    I would put a few drops of white vinegar on the rock. If it fizzes, don't put it in a FW tank (unless you're keeping cichlids)

8. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I've actually been looking for rocks that go fizz because my water has GH/KH readings of zero:(

The only tank with passable readings is the one with a chunk of Texas Holey Rock. I'd like to get some more but it's hard to come by here.

9. Slug Well Known Member Member

I'd be more concerned about the life dying on the rock as it sits in freshwater and fouling the water. I'd soak it beforehand to kill the rock before putting it in the freshwater tank. Also check the pH change like Ryan was saying.