Saltwater question from beginner

JacobP

I want to set up a saltwater aquarium I was thinking 20-40 gallons as small as possible for filtration I was thinking a canister or power head or a sump what about a protein skimmer would the tank be too small also what about light and for substrate sand or crushed coral I would also like to have some live coral also I would like to know if these fish are compatible or live in groups
1. Yellow Watchman Goby. 2. Yellow Clown Goby. 3.Warpoint Clown Goby
4. Yasha White Ray Goby 5. Orange FireFish Goby. 6.Purple FireFish Goby
7.Bicolor Blenny Goby. 8. Blue Eye Golden Midos Blenny 9. Yellow Head JawFish
10. Azure Domselfish. 11. Four Stripe Domselfish. 12 Similar Domeselfish
13. ClownFish. 14 Royal Gramma Bassled. 15. Bicolor DottyBack
are any of these fish to aggressive or not compatible I am a freshwater guy trying salt

lobstahlights

HI JacobP! Welcome to Fishlore!

It often takes a little while to get a response here in the Saltwater section, so let me help you with what I can.

Bigger tanks are, in general, easier, but 20-40g is viable. I would recommend a protein skimmer. At this size tank it's not necessary but if you're not doing lots of regular water changes, it'll make a big difference.

You'll definitely want at least one power head for flow. It's recommended to have one pointing up towards the surface to assist in gas exchange. You may want one for mixing your saltwater as well, to help the salt dissolve.

Are you going to buy live rock? You really should - curing it yourself sounds pretty nasty, and live rock is the bulk of your biological filtration in a tank. You can mix live rock and much cheaper dry rock, as the live rock will colonize the dry rock over time. Also, live rock almost always experiences die-off of microorganisms during transit, so the ammonia produced will start your cycle.

Light depends on the corals you want to keep. It can be pretty expensive, so do your research and keep an eye out for deals.

Live corals can be particular. Crushed coral may help add elements they need, but you'll really want to use reef crystals as opposed to regular marine salt. Make sure you research each species before you buy it because like fish, they have different requirements.

You've got a long journey ahead of you! Having a saltwater tank is an exercise in patience. If you're serious about this, set up a tank with your sand, live rock, a powerhead and saltwater and while it cycles, research what might live in it!

JacobP

Do I need an external filter and what kind of sand also what kind of salt

ryanr

HI Jacob, welcome to Fishlore

Many of the questions you have will have been answered in the stickies
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...uarium-part-1-where-to-start-research.118422/
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...ing-nature-home-researching-equipment.119039/
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...ng-setting-up-and-running-your-system.120421/

You'll definitely want at least one power head for flow. It's recommended to have one pointing up towards the surface to assist in gas exchange.
Depends on the setup. Generally powerheads are pointed more to the middle to bottom of the tank. It helps keep particles suspended so they can be filtered out, and creates better currents in the tank for corals.

Too, pointing a powerhead at the surface may cause the surface to bubble/foam up

lobstahlights

Ah, excellent! Thanks Ryan. Always learning in this hobby

JacobP

Thx for the info what do u think about the fish

jpm995

Probably too late for this but 55 gal tanks used to be cheaper than 40's because they made much more of them. Many sw fish are territorial and need more room than fw.

tanki60o

You definitely can't mix the royal gramma basslet with the firefish, and I suggest not keeping the damselfish because they can get aggressive and big

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Amazoniantanklvr
Replies
Views
DocRick
Replies
Views
fishboy367
Replies
Views