Saltwater Plants for Refugium?

1. Rbert Initiate Member

Hey, I have a 29 gallon tank that I've made into a refugium but I'm not sure what plants to add. If someone could help me out and recommend some good saltwater plants.

Thanks

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

3. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

I second the Chaetomorpha recommendation. It grows really well and is easily removed as needed.

4. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

what are your thoughts on mangroves, Mike?

5. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

They are cool to look at but growth is too slow to be effective unless you can put in a lot of them.

6. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Slow growing but still a nice source of natural filtration. Get enough of them and you can probably lose the skimmer also. At least they were for me, but that was years ago.

7. matsungit Well Known Member Member

8. Rbert Initiate Member

Alright guys thanks for the help and I'll defiantly look at that article.

9. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

Sounds very interesting, I'll look into this too!

* just read the article a got a lot from it :). In my experience as a beginner to running a refugium I cant say enough about the simplicity and effectiveness of using Chaeto algae. I'm in the process of determining whether it's best to let the fuge just fill up with the chaeto or using the tumbling ball method. I'm trying both.
    sick chaeto.jpg
    *rotating ball.
    *other pics wont post :(?

10. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

There we go :)!?!?
    [​IMG]
    *filled up and kept that way for some time.
    After monitoring my levels using both methods I found it difficult to tell the difference in water params. Maintaining it as a ball takes time to keep it's shape but grows faster due to the extra light exposure. Letting it fill up though does not leave room for close inspection of it and utilizing some space in there for other reasons is difficult. I'm more comfortable with the ball. hope this helps.

11. Rbert Initiate Member

Hey guys,
    So recently I've been having a problem with sand getting into the pump chamber and getting pumped into my main tank. I've gone to the LFS and they told me to either get all the sand out and switch to miracle mud or move the whole pump. I'm not sure what miracle mud is and moving the pump would mean cutting the piping. So I guess my question what is miracle mud and does anyone have any other ideas on how I could fix this. I should also mention that I've added a filter sock over the pump as a short term solution and it seems to have helped a little.