Saltwater Plant Id

1. Kyle.

Kyle. New Member Member

Hi,

I was looking for some help identifying this seaweed that was given to me when I purchased some live rock the other day. I didn't notice that it was included in the bucket of live rock until I made it home and discovered it.

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance!
    upload_2017-4-24_16-12-40.png

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

I don't think there is any true saltwater plants, as actual plants can't survive in full out salt water. It is more likely to be a type of macro algae.

It's hard to see what its true color is with the blue lighting, is it red, green, brown?

Maybe try looking around this cite: http://imgarcade.com/types-of-saltwater-algae.html

3. OP
    OP
    Kyle.

Kyle. New Member Member

I've tried looking around online but haven't really had any luck finding something that looks like this plant. It's a dark green color with some brown along the outer edges. I assumed it to be some type of macro algae but am mainly trying to find out if it is ok to leave in my tank or if I should remove it because it could become a headache later?

4. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

You might have more luck posting on the saltwater forum... this one is freshwater :)

5. OP
    OP
    Kyle.

Kyle. New Member Member

Thanks, I noticed that after I posted lol. I didn't realize that the plants was in freshwater only section. Guess that's why I'm an initiate :D