Saltwater Overflow: Any use for freshwater?

1. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I have a tank that I'm in love with, but it's drilled with an already-installed overflow though no plumbing currently. Can this be used with a freshwater setup? I didn't think it was possible but I keep thinking about it because I want it to work! Could I plumb it for use with a canister filter instead of a sump? Or would I need to just have the holes plugged? Another thought I had was converting the overflow to an actual filter; plug the holes at the bottom, fill it with media and somehow install a pump in the bottom to force the water to flow through it.

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You can still use it! You can plug the holes up or hook it up to a sump. Not sure how you'd connect it to a canister, but I'm sure it can be done!

3. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Hmm...

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What size tank is it?

5. Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

I've used a sump on a freshwater tank. It's a great thing, IMO. A wet/dry filter works great for freshwater.

Or you can use it to make a drip system to do constant water changing.

And as was just being discussed in another thread, it is always great to pull some of the water that goes to any filter off of the surface so you capture any scum/oil/protein that is floating on the surface.

An overflow outlet is really nice for freshwater.

You could always even use it for the return water from a canister the possibilities are really endless.

I'd always prefer a drilled tank to a non-drilled one. If, or until you set up to use it, you can always plug it.

How much space does the overflow in the tank take up?

Got any pics of it? I think it's a great find.

6. Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

I thought of another great use for a sump with freshwater :

Set up a planted refugium! That always seemed to me to be a great way to filter water and remove nitrates in a natural way.

And you can blast it with lots of light without blasting the display tank with as much, so algae can be controlled in the display tank.

I think I would have a planted refugium if I had the space to set up a system like that.

It seems like both parts could be done in a way that was quite attractive. Fish above, and a big planter below. :)

7. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

It's the 95g wave front tank that I want to set up. My landlady is in a good mood this week so it's a good time to get permission to do something like this;)

I don't have any problems with algae in any of my tanks but I do love the idea of a planted refugium! That would look awesome. I even have a 4 bulb T5HO grow light that would totally blind my fish but I'm sure would do wonderful things for any plants;D

Here are pictures; the tank is 48" long by 24" tall and the overflow is 10 1/4" wide and stands 5" out from the glass:

IMG_20160614_113741756.jpg IMG_20160614_113754244.jpg

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Cool tank! What does your roommate think of it?

9. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think he dares to think anything about it;)

He does like Eddy and Colin though, who have begun to recognize him and wiggle tentatively when he looks in on them! He doesn't normally feed them but I think they're smart enough to understand that he's a potential source of food:p

10. Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

That is an amazing tank. I hope it works out well!

11. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks:) Even before I was able to keep fish alive I'd seen one of these wavefront tanks in a picture and thought that if I ever figured out how to do it, I would want one of those. This one didn't come with a stand unfortunately and being discontinued the chances of me finding a matching stand are pretty grim. But then the chances of me finding one of the tanks was pretty grim, too, and look what happened!:p

I have no real woodworking skills, do you suppose a cinder block stand would work for this kind of tank? Where would I need to support it? I can of course cut plywood to shape so that the entire edge is supported but would the blocks themselves need to be in special positions?

12. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

I hope she lets you have it, because I can not WAIT to see it set up!!! :)

13. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I know!!! Then I'm going to have to pick your brain about how to go about introducing two adult angels and what my chances are of success. I should probably start another thread for that. I may end up with a divided 95 gallon wave front, which would be weird:p

14. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I have always loved those tanks. You'll have to keep us updated! I thought your landperson was anti fish tank and making you get rid of everything?

Really though...the most important thing is...What does Zoey think?

15. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

She was, but she's highly...variable:rolleyes:

Zoey's cool with anything, she's the Motorcycle Ralph of chinchillas;)

16. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

ya introducing adult angels can be tough. But not impossible. And with a tank as big as this one, I have a feeling it'll work out ok. Especially if you break it up with tall plants in the middle or something. Create separate zones for them.....

I have had a lot of different experiences introducing adult angels. The most interesting one....and the one that I never would have expected to work was my first angelfish breeding pair. Both of them were big bullies in their tanks. BIG bullies. So they were both going to be given away. BUT until that could happen, I had to put them together in a 29 gallon temporarily until I could bring them to the LFS. And out of nowhere, they started spawning!! They had never met before that. They lived in different tanks, but by crazy coincidence, they ended up being a happy couple! So two big bullies that I thought would never have a chance of living with any other angel ended up pairing up. With a tank that small, you would think two bullies would end up ripping eachother to shreds. But they didn't...instead the made babies!! Angels are soooooo unpredictable! for the record, I had them both since they were juvies.... I don't have that pair anymore though. I sold them. They had both grown to be very large angels and a 29 was just not appropriate for the two of them.

Anyway, I am so happy for you and your fishies! I can't wait to see it all set up! I assume you have checked already, but....did you make sure there are no leaks?

17. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Well, it's drilled, but other than that the seals look good! I hadn't checked it for leaks because I've been too busy moving things around and trying to plan everything out. I don't move fast, but I move thoroughly;)

18. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You need to have the entire rim supported, but I wouldn't trust just plywood sitting on cinderblocks (i.e. cinderblocks at the four corners and plywood on top). I'd try to get the entire rim supported by the cinderblocks too. Plywood is thin and bendy.

19. Skyy2112 Member Member

Can someone explain how an overflow works? And the idea of drilling etc? I've always throught these looked neat, but I cannot find any articles that make sense to me.

20. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Shouldn't be. That's the whole point of plywood, it's not bendy, even the relatively thin ply still has at least 3 layers of alternating grain direction to give it extra strength. 1/4" ply isn't all that strong, though it's a lot stronger than a 1/4" thick slice of single-thickness wood would be! If I got 1" ply I could probably park a truck on it;)