Saltwater Newbie

agsansoo

Well Known
Reaction score
I just recently set up a new 60 gal. tank with Live rock. I have two problems.
Tank has been running for two week only, three on Wednesday.

1)Had two Damsels, one Three Strip the other Blue-Yellow tail. Very aggressive. I purchased a Clown fish yesterday.
Today it was dead. Beaten up pretty badly. Returned Damsels last night.
Not sure why fish died ? From beating or not eating !

2) Tank is running hot ! 30C (84-86F). Is this too hot for clown fish ? Yesterday it's was 90F here in Los Angeles ....

Miss Mouse

Well Known
Reaction score
Hey there, sorry about your clown - very sad.
Could be the damsels that munched the clown..
What are your nitrates/nitrites like? And ammonia?
Ursh

OP
agsansoo

agsansoo

Well Known
Reaction score
My nitrates is less than 50, nitrites is 0.1 and ammonia between 0 and 0.25 .
Also I am successfully keeping tank temp at 81.9 F, which is way better than it was just a few days ago (84F-86F).

Miss Mouse

Well Known
Reaction score
Hmm... no clue then - maybe shock of being in a new system combined with bullying from the damsels.. could be anything and we will never know ???Sad!

OP
agsansoo

agsansoo

Well Known
Reaction score
That's what I'm beginning to think also. My other clown is still alive, but not really eating that well.
I've tried frozen brine shrimp, flakes and pellets. ???

Tumbleweed

Well Known
Reaction score
Clown fish are tropical fish so they can live in 84-86F degree water provided that there is enough oxygenation in the tank. And yes Damsels are very aggressive fish. They have a bully complex and will attack all other fish in the tank regardless of the other fishes size. The only way to get away with having damsels in a community tank is to introduce them to an already established tank with fish in it then the damsels are the new fish on the block and less likely to attack other fish, but even then there is no guarantee.

As for food my Clown fish like frozen miscen shrimp.

OP
agsansoo

agsansoo

Well Known
Reaction score
Tank temp is down to 80-82F now. The weather has cooled down here the past few days. Though I am anticipating buying a chiller this next summer.
I have two air stone in the tank for oxygenation. What size of bubbles are best ? Small or fine , like with a wood air stone ?

As for the Damsels, I returned them to the LFS were I purchased them. The LFS worker place them in the same tank together. They continue to fight there too !

As for my Clown fish, he passed away on Wednesday afternoon. My tank is now fishless . I do have a Cleaner shrimp and one hermit crab. Deciding on my next fish purchase. Not sure what to buy, a BangaiI Cardinal, Yellow Tang or Royal Gramma. I want a peacefull community tank. I really want a pair of clown fish, but think I should wait until the tank is established first.

hezzy

Reaction score
HI there! i'm fairly new the saltwater hobby too (6 months). I started off with 2 green chromis' and two clown fish. I don't know the technical name for my clown fish, but they are "fake" clown fish. Apparently, they are much calmer, easier to keep and are less agressive. They look exactly like the "real" ones. I slowly added a yellow tang, sweeper Goby, regal tang sea urchin, sea cucumber and my latest is a strawberry fish, who is a real sweetie. (I also have live rock, mushrooms, cleaner shrimp and various crabs). oh...and a chocolate chip starfish, which I wouldn't recommend with mushrooms, as they like to munch on them! We just keep a close eye on him and move him to another part of the tank when he's getting too close to the mushrooms. My tank is almost 60 gallons. So far, all my fish get along well. Unfortunately, I lost one of my green chromis a couple of weeks ago (and I mean LITERALLY LOST!) I think he was injured, died and somebody ate him ??? ???

OP
agsansoo

agsansoo

Well Known
Reaction score
I think I will take your suggestion and buy 2 green chromis tomorrow. I re-tested the water again today. Same as a few day ago, maybe a little better. Ph is between 8.2 and 8.4. Temp is much better with a computer fan attached to the lighting canopy. I only run the fan when the lights are on.

discus guy

Reaction score
buy your chromis is odd pairs and cardinals to so they don't fight as much always buy odd numbers of schooling fish and cardinals.. also buy pairs of clowns and make sure they are the same kind don't mix and match.

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
agsansoo said:
I think I will take your suggestion and buy 2 green chromis tomorrow. I re-tested the water again today. Same as a few day ago, maybe a little better. Ph is between 8.2 and 8.4. Temp is much better with a computer fan attached to the lighting canopy. I only run the fan when the lights are on.
Greeen Chromis's live in schools of at least 6.

Mike

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had 3 banggaI cardinals in the same tank, two paired off and then the male from the pair started bullying the other (assuming) lone male.  I moved the lone male cardinal to another tank and the mated pair now breeds on a regular basis.  Still trying to raise the babies.  So, I wouldn't advise keeping more than 2 banggais in the same tank, unless it's a large tank.

BanggaI Cardinal Fish

ACE

Reaction score
agsansoo said:
I just recently set up a new 60 gal. tank with Live rock. I have two problems.
Tank has been running for two week only, three on Wednesday.

1)Had two Damsels, one Three Strip the other Blue-Yellow tail. Very aggressive. I purchased a Clown fish yesterday.
Today it was dead. Beaten up pretty badly.  Returned Damsels last night.
Not sure why fish died ? From beating or not eating !

2) Tank is running hot ! 30C (84-86F). Is this too hot for clown fish ?  Yesterday it's was 90F here in Los Angeles ....

HEY SORRY ABOUT YOUR CLOWN,AND I DONT THINK IT DIED FROM LACK OF EATING ITS ONLY BEEN ONE DAY THE DAMSEL ARE AGRESSIVE,ESPECIALLY IF ITS A LOT BIGGER THAN THE OTHER FISH,ALSO YOU'VE ONLY HAD YOUR TANK RUNNING FOR 2 WKS YOU MIGHT WANT TO WAIT A LITTLE LONGER BEFOR YOU PUT ANY MORE NICE FISH UNTIL YOUR TANK IS ESTABLISHED ,I WAITED ABOUT 2 MNTS BEFOR I PUT ANY REAL FISH IN MINE OK ACE

New Threads