Saltwater Newbie

1. R

Reddmann Valued Member Member

Hello, everyone. I've posted in the freshwater section a few times and our freshwater 76 gallon is doing well now. I have a chance to get a 75 gallon that's set up for saltwater tomorrow. It comes with lights (not sure what kind), stand, and the sump? that sits under the tank in the stand. No rocks or substrate, as that was taken out. I'll post a picture of it with this post. What do I need to get in order to get the tank ready for fish? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. stella1979

stella1979 Fishlore VIP Member

Well, looks like you've got the basics. I can't see everything in that sump, but I think I do see a protein skimmer, which is great. The sump is already plumbed I suppose, but are there pumps in there for water flow? You will also need a good powerhead or two for the tank. You want your total turnover rate in a SW tanks to be at least 20 times per hour for your total water volume.

You'll definitely need to get rock, it is what harbors BB in a SW tank and works as your filter, and I would go with live sand for substrate. You can get live rock or dry rock. A lot of people prefer to start with mostly dry plus some live to seed the tank. When you are rock-scaping, consider whether or not you're going to get into corals and scape accordingly.

You might also consider a light for your sump. You'll want to run a refugium in there and you will need to provide light to grow macroalgae (like chaeto) to do this.

I hope this helps. SW is awesome:D

Edit: Did you get the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    R

Thanks for the info, Stella! Since I already have a freshwater tank for my daughter, this one was actually gonna be for my wife (we know nothing about saltwater tanks, but she wants to try it). The deal fell through with this setup. There was a small crack in one corner of the glass and she didn't want it. She was looking at a 90 gallon also and we ended up getting that. It isn't drilled and doesn't have a sump, but it was being used as a saltwater tank. It came with a nice, heavy light that has sun, moon, dusk settings and maybe some other settings. Also came with a protein skimmer, canister filter, a couple of heaters, and what looks like an air pump. Also 200 pounds of dry rock that was live at one time and some coral, which we might or might not use (the coral). I have no clue how to use this stuff yet. I'll get the live sand soon and start learning to set it up. Any advice on equipment needed for a non-drilled system will be appreciated. Thanks again.

4. Claire Bear

Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

There is lots of information all over the Internet but keep in mind that there is a section here on Fishlore with a good read on the basics. IMO, you should buy the very best skimmer you can afford. It makes a huge difference. Also you will need testing equipment. I like the salinity test Milwaukee makes and hanna tests. You will need to know your magesium, etc and those are easy to read and use.
    Good luck! And nothing is fast in saltwater!

5. OP
    OP
    R

Thanks, Claireputput! We ended up getting a non-drilled 90 gallon instead of the tank in the original post (see my reply above). It came with a protein skimmer, light, a lot of rock, a filter, pump, and heaters. All of the equipment needs cleaning and then I have to start the process of learning how to set it up and use the equipment. So this will be a very slow process lol. Since my wife picked the 90 gallon, I wanted to clean it really well and use it as a freshwater cichlids tank, but she's not having any of that! She wants that rock and Nemo in the tank ASAP! So I guess I'll be doing a lot of reading and YouTube watching over the next few weeks/months. Thanks again.

6. stella1979

Wish I could help you on the non-drilled tank, but I only have a nano without an overflow. You're going to want to look into overflowing a non drilled tank... I'm sure youtube would be of a lot of help with that.

I don't know about that canister filter... in a SW tank your rock work harbors BB and thus, is your filter.

7. OP
    OP
    R

Thanks again, Stella. You've been very helpful.

8. stella1979

You're welcome @Reddmann, no problem at all. I really love encouraging folks to step over to the dark side. I love my FW planted tanks and fish too, really I do, but these reef tanks are something else. I can stare at my tiny corals all day.:)

I don't want to overwhelm you with info, and I'm sure you're doing your own research. I would suggest checking out BRStv on youtube. They've got a few playlists that are great for beginners.

Feel free to post any questions... we are a small but growing group of salty's here and we all love to help. Before you know it, you'll have some SW answers to offer too.:)

9. OP
    OP
    R

I appreciate all the info. I'll check out that youtube channel!