Saltwater Iodine in Freshwater tank

andy65
This question is for Saltwater people that keep Inverts.

I have been having problem with my Cherry shrimp after they molt. I have lost 3 now and I am a wee bit ticked.
I have heard that some people us reef Iodine at HALF the dosage every week or so for their shrimp.

Now what do you Saltwater people think?

Wolfgang8810
I have tried it with my red cherry shrimp and blue crayfish but haven't really noticed any difference. I say save your money and buy some NORI the sea weed stuff they wrap sushI in. The shrimp like it and it will benefit them more than the iodine. take care

MArk

COBettaCouple
They can be so vulnerable to water conditions and fish after molting. I've found that our cherry shrimp do well after molting with daily partial water changes and 1 drop of vita-chem per gallon every other day.

I hadn't thought about putting norI in the tank for them. I might have to try that when they don't have fresh algae on decor/plants from other tanks.

Wolfgang8810
the norI thing really helps as it contains some iodine in it but from what I have noticed it works well. I also bought 20 red cherry shrimp from dino about 6 months ago and now I have over 100. I keep my shrimp with cardinal tetras and the tank is pretty much self sustaining its nice.

sirdarksol
NorI works, or, for that matter, algae wafers (norI is just sheets of algae). I use norI to feed all of my tanks periodically.

What else is in the Cherry tank? Is it possible that they're being attacked when they molt?

andy65
I don't know what happen but they all died after they molted. all 6 of them are gone. I am just going to stick to ghost shrimp.

COBettaCouple
What temp was the tank at? Did they have a tank to themselves?

I'm sorry you lost them.

Peterpiper
HI andy65,
I think you are on the right path. In Saltwater we use NSW ( natural sea water ) or mix RO/DI water with the salt mix. By using NSW we are replacing minerals etc when we change the water. And the salt we mix with the RO/DI water does the same.
It does sound like something is lacking.. stopping the shrimp from making a shell so to speak.
What water do you use for your water changes?

andy65
They where in my 10 gallon with 6 cories and my betta.

The ghost shrimp I had,the cories ate 3 them.I have 2 that lived. They are doing great.they LOVE bloodworms,
The cherry shrimp... well,we are on a well the water has a Ph of 7.6,we have all copper piping,GH at 8-11* ,KH is 15*. I plan on just sticking to ghost shrimp. I MIGHT get cherrys form Dino if I get a betta from him.

Wolfgang8810
ill bet the betta is the culprit. I raised Blue crayfish for a while and even when my baby crays were 2 inches I had to isolate one so I put it in the betta bowl thinking it would be fine. the next morning my baby cray diddnt have any claws.

andy65
He leaves the one that are in there now alone. Who know what happened.

Wolfgang8810
lool maybe he got full. Sorry I just had to

andy65
its fine. it is funny.

COBettaCouple
Dino has some great cherry shrimp. I would recommend a tank of their own though, if you get some. Ours are thriving and multiplying like crazy now that I have a tank just for them. They're so vulnerable after they molt and the females release pheremones so I'm not sure if that attracts other fish to a snack or not.. and the baby shrimp are so tiny, just about any fish will eat them.

They where in my 10 gallon with 6 cories and my betta.

The ghost shrimp I had,the cories ate 3 them.I have 2 that lived. They are doing great.they LOVE bloodworms,
The cherry shrimp... well,we are on a well the water has a Ph of 7.6,we have all copper piping,GH at 8-11* ,KH is 15*. I plan on just sticking to ghost shrimp. I MIGHT get cherrys form Dino if I get a betta from him.

Peterpiper
Think some rock work with lots of caves and places for them to hide might help.. some where for them to hide while the new shell hardens..

andy65
I don't have good luck with cherry shrimp. I know that my cories where hungry and ate the ghost shrimp that I bought. But the cherry shrimp that I won just didn't live long. I would hate to buy from Dino then get them home and I kill them.

I think I am just going to stick with ghost shrimp they are only 25 cents each.

COBettaCouple
I didn't have good luck with shrimp either.. cherry, tiger, etc.. but the way we have them setup now seems to be working great. I'd recommend a similiar setup and getting good quality shrimp from Dino if you wanted to try again.

- and check this site out. Good info on shrimp. I want to find some yellow shrimp now. drool

andy65
I don't know what I am going to do. I MIGHT get some to have with the new betta girl that I am going to get.

COBettaCouple
Shrimp are a natural food for Bettas. I'd go with bamboo or ghost shrimp at least in a betta tank and plenty of hiding spots.

andy65
Thanks for that bit of info. Ghost shrimp it is then.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
david1978
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Top Bottom