Saltwater fish suggestions

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by nerite0479, Apr 12, 2010.

1. nerite0479Valued MemberMember

HIIIII EVERYBODY.This Christmas I am starting a saltwater tank.It is most likely going to be 65 gallons.I want mostly small fish and one or two medium to large sized fish.[prefferably an angelfish]i would also like to have some corals and possibly a shrimp or two.Can anybody give me a combination of fish i can put in the tank without overstocking it?THANK U!:;sn

2. locoyo386Well Known MemberMember

Not sure what are the dimensinos of the tank, but for a alrge Angel to work in that small tank, it will not be for the life of the fish, they grow to big. For the large fish I may suggest one of the following Butterflies; Racoon, Auriga, Latticed, Orange, Mertensii, Pakistan, Double Saddle, Tahitian or Pearscale. For a medium fish you could go with a dwarf angelfish like; Flame, Coral Beauty, Bicolor, Lemonpeel, Red Stripe, Half Black or Yellow (false lemonpeel). You could add a couple of Ocellaris clowns (regular or black and white) with a couple of firefish. Some filler gobies or other small fish like that.

3. nerite0479Valued MemberMember

Thanks.When i said angelfish I was actually talking about a dwarf angelfish.I should have been more specific.That sounds like a good combination.I have until Christmas to plan so I'll keep you posted on what im doing.:;thx

4. locoyo386Well Known MemberMember

Sounds cool, looking forward to seeing pictures once you have setup.

5. ATPWell Known MemberMember

Note that most butterflies are not reef safe. Meaning they pick at corals a lot. I have a teardrop and an aurigia in my "semi-reef tank" and they almost always pick at them. Especially the Teardrop. I saw him nip aat my toadstool and like three or four polyps got ripped off. I moved that coral to my main reef tank after that.

The safest butterflies IMO and IME is the pyramid butterfly, bannerfish (H. diphreutes not accuminatus), and the copperband (I don't reccomend it)

The dwarf angels are mostly semi-reef safe, but they don't pick as strong as the butterflies IME.

Small fishes:
    I like wrass and and chromis (there are different kinds other than the green/blue ones. I also mix some saphire damesls, blue devil, and a few others.

6. nerite0479Valued MemberMember

Thanks!I'll get everything planned eventually.:)

7. zeeterWell Known MemberMember

Cardinals are good fish, too. They're mostly nocturnal. the only real problem for them is that they're very slow and shouldn't be put in with aggressive fish, like damsels. Though they do fine with clownfish, which are technically damsels. Personally I like the PJ cardinals. My kids call one of them Harry Potter because he has big eyes.

8. SarrixxValued MemberMember

So it sounds like you want to make this tank a reef (corals and inverts) which is rad! Reefs are beautiful and very rewarding in the end IMO. Unfortunately, this limits a lot of the fish you can keep.

I would suggest the following.

Fish: 1 McCosker's Flasher Wrasse or Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
    1 Orange Stripe Prawn Goby (Which can form a symbiotic relationship with Pistol Shrimp)
    2 or 3 Firefish
    1 Royal Gramma Basslet
    2 Ocellaris Clownfish

Coral: 2 or 3 kinds of Zoanthids
    A Toadstool
    1 or 2 kinds of Mushrooms

Inverts: 1 Banded Coral Shrimp
    6 Nassarius Snails
    6 Cerith Snails
    8 Turbo Snails

That would be my starting point probably :)

9. nerite0479Valued MemberMember

Thanks,that sounds like a good idea.I might pass on the snails though.If i do could i add one or two more fish.

10. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Snails are an important part of your clean up crew IMO. Some eat algae, some eat leftover foods, some keep your sand bed stirred. I personally don't like turbos because they are large and powerful, and can bulldoze your carefully-placed corals, lol.

11. ATPWell Known MemberMember

Turbos are vital to my tank:) I was scared at first about buying them because of what I',ve read it coul topple things. But that's why you do proper rockwork and glue youre corals.
    I've never had problems with them

12. SarrixxValued MemberMember

As stated above snails ARE a vital part of any CuC, and even if you didn't have them in your tank you would not be able to add any more livestock.

13. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

I do proper rockwork. I don't glue corals because sometimes I move them around. ;)

My tank does just fine without turbos. It's just a matter of opinion.

14. SarrixxValued MemberMember

Yeah I wouldn't say turbos are vital, but IMO snails of some kind are vital to a clean and healthy tank because of the effecient job they do.

15. ATPWell Known MemberMember

Well, like I said. It depends on one's system. Algae always try to grow in my systems and they're the first line of defence against the algae that grows in my tank. If they fail, than I'll start boosting up my systems.

(don't get started on removeing the cause of nitrate, etc.....I know about them and I've dealt with them ;) )

An example: someone has a really deep sand bed (over 4") and to them, they're most important would be sandshifting snails and probably a sand shifting star.

btw harpua, what I do is only put a small ammount of glue. Its easier to move them. If I can't remove them, I'll just use a multi tool to weaken the glue. (I move corals almost every day now to find a place they like because my tank is still recently set up so they're not in their best shape as they use to be)

:;f:;f:;fr:;fr:;fg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice