10 Gallon Tank Saltwater Fish Stocking Ideas?

JtheFishMan
At the moment, I have an open 10-gallon tank that I want to convert to saltwater. In my other 10 gallon, I already have a pair of clownfish, so I want to try something different.

Leave some suggestions for stocking below! I want to hear your guys' opinions.

Jesterrace
A few different routes you could go:

Firefish (Red, Purple, etc.)
Pink Streaked Wrasse or Possum Wrasse
Clown Gobies (beware they can nibble at SPS Corals though) and there are a fair variety of them
Rainsford/Court Jester Gobies
Pink Spotted Goby or other small bottom dwelling goby with a Pistol Shrimp.

Invert only tank (ie hermit crabs, sexy shrimp) with Corals

JtheFishMan
Jesterrace said:
A few different routes you could go:

Firefish (Red, Purple, etc.)
Pink Streaked Wrasse or Possum Wrasse
Clown Gobies (beware they can nibble at SPS Corals though) and there are a fair variety of them
Rainsford/Court Jester Gobies
Pink Spotted Goby or other small bottom dwelling goby with a Pistol Shrimp.

Invert only tank (ie hermit crabs, sexy shrimp) with Corals
Thank you for the suggestions! Definitely going to check out these fish. Still somewhat new to saltwater, so it is pretty exciting. My only knowledge in saltwater right now are clownfish, hermit crabs, and feather dusters, lol.

Zach72202
It really depends what you want for the tank. Are you going for a FOWLR or a nano reef?

Here is an amazing resource from another forum that I find fantastic.

All credit to the people who put it together, I have much respect for them.

There's a few that I would say "yeah it would work, but could be better"
The most noteable I see is that I wouldn't put Red Scooter Blenny in a 10g, but maybe if it were real small. I find them to be a 'cherry on top' fish.

JtheFishMan
Zach72202 said:
It really depends what you want for the tank. Are you going for a FOWLR or a nano reef?

The most noteable I see is that I wouldn't put Red Scooter Blenny in a 10g, but maybe if it were real small. I find them to be a 'cherry on top' fish.
I will probably have one coral that spreads very quickly. I saw the specific type of coral at the fish store the other day, but forgot to ask the associate for the name of it. He told me that it spreads pretty quickly, and that's what I want.

I will still have live rock in there too, of course. I will definitely take a look at this link.

Baylum
Zach72202 said:

Red scooter blennies need copepod populations to survive. They pretty much have no stomach, so they have to eat 24/7. Definitely not for a tank under 40 gallons or without a refugium.

Zach72202
Baylum said:
Red scooter blennies need copepod populations to survive. They pretty much have no stomach, so they have to eat 24/7. Definitely not for a tank under 40 gallons or without a refugium.
My point for stating that I wouldn't unless they are super small. Probably should have specified <1", because I have seen them that small

JtheFishMan
Baylum said:
Zach72202 said:
My point for stating that I wouldn't unless they are super small. Probably should have specified <1", because I have seen them that small
Thank you for this information. Because my tank is only 10 gallons, I might have to rule this species out.

Jesterrace
JtheFishMan said:
Thank you for this information. Because my tank is only 10 gallons, I might have to rule this species out.
Definitely skip a Scooter Blenny. Not a good choice for a newbie in a 10 gallon tank given that they need to feed near constantly and it would be near impossible to keep up with unless you want to be glued to your tank most of the time.

JtheFishMan
Jesterrace said:
Definitely skip a Scooter Blenny. Not a good choice for a newbie in a 10 gallon tank given that they need to feed near constantly and it would be near impossible to keep up with unless you want to be glued to your tank most of the time.
Noted.

Latest threads

Top Bottom