Saltwater Fish Sticker Shock!

Kimara

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I just got back from my LFS after browsing what kind of fish I liked and every saltwater fish is over $100! Is that a normal price for a fish? Are there fish that are cheaper, or am I just in way over my head?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
There are tons of cheaper options, it also depends on the store. At my lfs the most expensive saltwater fish are angels, those are $100. I think it ranges from ~$25-$100 there as well.

Kimara

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay, that' good. I chalk it up to Canada in winter and limited stock.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That would probably do it
I have the fortune of living where my lfs could get anything they need in a few hours if they had to. 2 hour flight, roughly an hour to the store from the airport, or maybe 1 day worth of driving.

Kimara

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Maybe I'll have to order online what I want, though I don't really like doing that.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well I'm not really a geography buff so bear with me, but if possible you could try looking near the U.S. border. It'll probably be a little pricier than I mentioned earlier, but not quite as expensive as where you were looking. Most companies are based in California, or the east coast.

Kimara

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'll find a way to get what I want. Just wanted to know if those prices were reasonable. I saw it was $134 for one of those Dory fish. Blue tang I think it was called. It' not the one I want, it' just an example. Another one called Lemon Peel was $119. They didn't seem like outragious prices but I don't know.

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Even at my LFS, saltwater fish are usually in the 30-50 range, and i live about as far as one can in the US from any saltwater!! I have noticed the lionfish are always well over 100 here

Kimara

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oof, okay. I will find somewhere else or wait for the price to go down. It is probably very hard for them to ship fish in this cold, and that could be it. Either way, if the prices are still a hundred bucks a fish, I'll order online, though, that isn't preferable...

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I just got back from my LFS after browsing what kind of fish I liked and every saltwater fish is over $100! Is that a normal price for a fish? Are there fish that are cheaper, or am I just in way over my head?
Honestly, part of it is the fact that you live up in the great white north. Canada and the British Isles are probably the two worst places for the hobby in terms of cost and selection. I'm not sure if you can get anything from the US, but I would strongly recommend it if possible. Plenty of fish that would go in a 46 gallon bowfront in the $15-$50USD range per fish down here.

Ocellaris Clowns (non designer) are $15-$25 USD from multiple sources down here
Royal Gramma Basslets are $20-$30 USD from Multiple Sources down here (sometimes less if there is a sale)
Cherubfish (Pygmy Angels) are around $35-$40USD each down here
Cardinalfish are $15-$20USD from multiple sources
Carpenter's and McCosker's Flasher Wrasses are between $25-$50 USD depending on sales

Live Aquaria - Search Results for Cardinalfish

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi,
If it makes you feel any better, my LFS had a Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum) for $475 AUD, and it sold immediately!
They've also had some inverts that were over $150 AUD.
It really does depend on species as to the price. Tangs are notoriously expensive owing to most of them being extremely sensitive and hard to transport.

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My LFS ranges from around $8-$200 for SW fish/inverts. The cheapest are Damsels at $8. Ocellaris Clowns are $20. I haven't checked Perculas (I need to as I might pick up a pair). I know my one of my other LFS has Ocellaris Clowns for $18.

Kimara

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I saw some Ocellaris clowns for $60 each and there wasn't much selection. I ordered a tiger shrimp online once and it came in once piece so I'm thinking that it should be fine to order from the states. Mind, I'll probably wait until spring/summer to avoid the risk of some idiot leaving it on the front porch and turning it into a fishcicle.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah, even in CAD that's pricey for Clowns (roughly $45 USD). Do you have another LFS (Local Fish Store) up there? If not then yes, you will likely need to order them online. I have to admit that would be something interesting for you to pick up a fish at an LFS on the US Side and then have to declare it for customs at the border.

Ridilen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey Kimara, have you tried looking at Big Als? They usually have a nice selection, and I think the prices are reasonable.

Kimara

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm talking about Big Al's. I've never seen the prices like this. Also, I guess it would be reasonable for me to go down to the states to get some. I'm lucky that way in that it would only be a day trip to a large city.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I can't be 100% sure but it sounds like you won't have any issues with bringing fish back across the border. I took a look at Canadian border customs requirements and I didn't see anything that says you can't. I think the only issue with animals are with certain invasive species (which tropical marine fish can't be in Canada). I do believe you have to declare them though.

Kimara

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Of course I have to declare them. I don' think I'll have an issue bringing them back either but I'll still probably wait until summer to do so.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom