saltwater cleaners for freshwater clean? Question

1. Betafish305ca Member Member

:;toast
    Hello,

So I have an idea, and I'm not sure as to how valid it would work, but I guess I should ask anyways?

Could you use saltwater cleaners (lets say oysters) as some sort of filter for a fresh water tank? Like maybe use a regular filter (the whisper kind maybe), but instead of a filter, use them to clear the water? Obviously they need salt (the oysters), maybe add that after the water gets sucked into the filter,but couldn't you put a net or something after the oysters to catch the leftover salt, and their eggs? This sounds like its really confusing, but any thoughts???

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

No, marine animals need marine conditions in order to live.

3. Betafish305ca Member Member

Hope this image helps to clarify my idea..... Its complicated, but does it have any chance???

STEPS....
    1/ Water gets drawn into the filter
    2/ Salt in the filter makes the water suitable for the oysters
    3/ The oysters clear the water/ and get fed at the same time
    4/ The cleaned water gets put back into the tank

ITEMS....

A/ Clear and durable plastic with numerous holes in it lets the water. To keep the salt from going out at the bottom, I'd probably need a stronger filter for the tank size. So it will also keep fish/ etc. safe from being sucked in.

B/ Sea salt rock, which will provide the water in the filter to be okay for the oysters for when the clean the water.

C/ A net capable of capturing the extra salt and eggs in possible.

Things I might have to consider.... Does marine salt com in a rock form? Will the filter keep the salt from only within the filter? Will the next be able to capture the excess salt from the oysters, and larva from the oysters? Will the oysters be okay?

Attached Files:

4. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

How would it be possible to keep the salted water separate from freshwater? Salt will dissolve in freshwater and become saltwater. Marine salt mix is needed to replicate marine conditions; it contains the trace elements necessary to sustain marine life, so rock salt isn't going to work.

5. Betafish305ca Member Member

any ideas for something that might?

6. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Water changes. ;)

7. Betafish305ca Member Member

oh, i meant to make this whole set up work, or is it jsut nuts?

8. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

why would you want to do this? ???

9. Betafish305ca Member Member

i was wondering if it would work?

10. ssanubisss Member Member

there is no way that i know of to quickly and effectively remove salt from water. I really dont think this would work.

11. Betafish305ca Member Member

12. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

It still wouldn't remove the salt from the water...

13. Betafish305ca Member Member

oh, theirs no kind of sponges or anything?

14. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Not that will remove salt from water.

15. Slug Well Known Member Member

Basically....its impossible. You would end up any way you fling it with either a brakish tank or a full on saltwater tank.

16. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

You could find some freshwater clams (sometimes on aquabid) to put in your tank. BUT...they will not at all help your water parameters....they also have a bioload!!

You would need an awful lot of them to noticably keep your water clearer a bit (as in organic particles) but nothing works like a filter to rid your tank of the chemical build ups....as amonia etc.