Saltwater Canister Filter Hotrod Idea? Thoughts?

Zach72202

So I have been thinking about setting up a saltwater tank, perhaps too much. My biggest pitfall is that I don't like sumps, but in saltwater that really limits you. I just thought of an idea that doesn't really negate a sump, but perhaps can add flow and filtration.

What if you took a canister filter, emptied out all of the slots and filter media, then just filled it with live rock? I feel like that turnover rate going over the rock in such a small enclosed area would be fantastic filtration for some of the smaller tanks where some don't really want a sump. Say on your 10-50g tanks. Of course I don't think going out to purchase a canister filter for this purpose is really warrantable, but if you have one in the closet could this be a potential excellent use for it? I know if you use foam and stuff it can be quite the nitrate factory and become a buildup location for biological waste and you become a slave to the filter clean.

Just a thought. Canister filter filled with live rock. That is all. Thoughts? Objections?

Thank you for reading!

ChrissFishes01

The biggest issue with this is all of the junk that'd get caught in the rock. It'd be somewhat difficult to clean, since you can't really just be replacing the rock.

Plus, you'd just have live rock in the tank, which provides MORE than enough filtration (biologically) for almost any tank. A better use for a canister filter, IMO, would just be to use it with a small bag of chemical media, and maybe some floss that gets changed daily.

You definitely don't need a sump on a saltwater tank, especially a nano. There's far more than one way to do a tank. I'm running a 40 breeder with a green spotted puffer with nothing but a single powerhead and some live rock. That's all you need - rock and flow.

Upvote 0

Zach72202

The biggest issue with this is all of the junk that'd get caught in the rock. It'd be somewhat difficult to clean, since you can't really just be replacing the rock.

Plus, you'd just have live rock in the tank, which provides MORE than enough filtration (biologically) for almost any tank. A better use for a canister filter, IMO, would just be to use it with a small bag of chemical media, and maybe some floss that gets changed daily.

You definitely don't need a sump on a saltwater tank, especially a nano. There's far more than one way to do a tank. I'm running a 40 breeder with a green spotted puffer with nothing but a single powerhead and some live rock. That's all you need - rock and flow.

Yeah honestly I didn't think it was something that is really a 'go-to', but if you had it I thought it may just be something you could do.

I am actually buying a Fluval flex 32.5g tank and stand with an in-tank TUNZE skimmer, a reef controller thing (he said it was like what everybody used for before Apex came out), and a sicce powerhead- all for 300$~. That is going to be for my Green Spotted Puffer too believe it or not! He's only about 2" currently, but hasn't grown a lick since I have had him. I plan on doing some easy corals in there like green star polyps. I would love to put other fish with him, but I feel like that isn't the greatest idea. He is super timid, but still don't want him to kill anything. I know eventually he will need bigger.

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

Yeah honestly I didn't think it was something that is really a 'go-to', but if you had it I thought it may just be something you could do.

I am actually buying a Fluval flex 32.5g tank and stand with an in-tank TUNZE skimmer, a reef controller thing (he said it was like what everybody used for before Apex came out), and a sicce powerhead- all for 300$~. That is going to be for my Green Spotted Puffer too believe it or not! He's only about 2" currently, but hasn't grown a lick since I have had him. I plan on doing some easy corals in there like green star polyps. I would love to put other fish with him, but I feel like that isn't the greatest idea. He is super timid, but still don't want him to kill anything. I know eventually he will need bigger.
He may or may not nip at corals - mine doesn't, but I had one before that did. YMMV.

I wouldn't mix him with anything. It's not generally recommended, but depends on the personality of your puffer, as well as age. When I first got this guy, he was getting bullied by a female molly in a brackish tank, bad enough that he had to be removed. I eventually got him his own 40, and moved a fire clownfish in with him. I lost that clown about two weeks ago due to an infected puffer bite - he had shown no prior aggression. The bite showed up, started getting infected, and despite being quarantined and treated, the fish died. All in the same day. It's a risky move.

Upvote 0

Jesterrace

The Flex would be a good tank to start out with and a decent home for the GSP for the time being. I concur though that adding corals with any puffer is a real gamble.

The Flex would be a good tank to start out with and a decent home for the GSP for the time being. I concur though that adding corals with any puffer is a real gamble.

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

Another thing to consider is the amount of waste that GSP will make - best to stick with soft corals and LPS that like "dirty" water. I know most people don't advocate ultra-low nutrient tanks anymore, but I find it rather difficult to keep nitrates and phosphates low enough to run a "real" reef tank with my GSP. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

Zach72202

Another thing to consider is the amount of waste that GSP will make - best to stick with soft corals and LPS that like "dirty" water. I know most people don't advocate ultra-low nutrient tanks anymore, but I find it rather difficult to keep nitrates and phosphates low enough to run a "real" reef tank with my GSP. Just a thought.

Oh yeah I plan on basically growing stuff like zoas and green star polys. Nothing much more than that. Only things that are cheap, easy, and if I can I will frag it out once I get a big colony. Only low maintenance in this house!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CHJ
  • Question
Replies
Views
Mindelo
Replies
Views
richiep